99 Max SE auto ???

Just wondering about something. The other day on a long flat open back road I decided to just floor the accelerator from 0mph. Guess I was trying to get a feel of how much or little power was under the hood. I was expecting to get some spin of the tires but none occurred. The car just began accelerating somewhat more forceful than what I was used to, but not exactly what I was expecting. Should the tires have began peeling if all was ok? I'm thinking maybe I need to go in for a tune up or something. Please advise.

Reply to
C. Moore

If you had good sticky tires and they were warm, maybe not. But generally a Max will break the front tires pretty easily. Running premium?

Reply to
Jim

Um, from my experience, that's the beauty of an auto tranny - no tire squealing. Heck, I could get all the squeal I wanted in my dad's old MG, but that was after revving the engine and popping the clutch.

I "suppose" you could do it in a auto tranny car, by holding the brake either with your left foot or using the hand brake while revving up the engine in drive. Not gonna try, though.

Reply to
filesiteguy

Autos are good at multiplying torque so it's actually easier. I know my '97 will easily spin the tires on dry pavement if I let it. I've taken a few cars off the line that were very surprised how quick a 4dr family car can move :-)

Reply to
Jim

I have a '96 I30 and my daughter still has my '97 I30t, both automatics. The have the same engine and trans used in the '99 Max SE. It is trivially easy to spin the tires on either one of them. Just step on the gas. You only get a quick chirp on the "t" though because it has the viscous limited-slip final drive. As soon as one tire starts spinning, more power is applied to the other one. I believe the Max SE also has it. That might be what is going on with the '99. Try timing it 0-60. If it takes more than

7.5-8.0 seconds, you probably need a tune up.
Reply to
E. Meyer

If you have Traction Control, did you try turning it off? When the max senses wheel slip TC will lower power to front wheels.

Reply to
Bob

It depends on the type of rims and tires you have on the car. When I put 15s on my 98 SE for winters, it spun them at will. When I went back to 17s for the summer, wheel spinning was much harder.

By the way, the Max SE does not have limited slip. I think only the anniversary edition 2001 max SE got that.

CD

Reply to
Codifus

Reply to
C. Moore

Well, I got an 96 SE...C.Moore...I will think you probably need a tune up if you are using the 16inch stock rims and normal tires. My 96 SE will spin at will with my auto tranny...yes definitely with the auto..you build much more torque at the beginning..it is tuned that way.

Lastly, since 95..all the SE and ONLY SE have the limited-slip differentials on it. The 2001 SE Anniversary edition have Limited Slip AND Traction Control (ECT) if you choose Auto. If it is the 5-speed, then you only get the limited-slip...no ECT.

Tedson

Reply to
Tedson

Spin the tires easier with an auto?!?!? How is that? There is NOTHING that compares to revving the engine and dumping the clutch! Tuned that way? I have seen ALLOT of Maximas that would not spin the tires with an autotragic, it has allot to do with tire compounds, road conditions etc, etc, etc! Just because he can't spin the tires "at will" with and automatic does not mean there is anything wrong with his car. I have sticky tires, and mine will not spin at will. I would not expect it to, (1/4 mile times are better without unnecessary wheelspin anyway) What kind of tires do you have? (brand model etc?) I'll bet the rubber is hard as a BRICK! if you can "spin at will"

Reply to
Bitsbucket

That's not right. No SEs have limited slip. Maybe the infiniti I30t and Canadian maximas, but no American Maximas, SE included, have the limited slip.

Also, 96 SE autos can chirp the tires more easily because they still had 15" rims.

CD

Reply to
Codifus