Are gen 3 SEs worth getting (VTC problem)?

Been living in the city for years without a car and am thinking I need to get one (finally sold my non-running Mustang SVO that had been sitting idle too long). After a lot of research a Gen 3(SE) or 4 Maxima looks like the one I want at the moment (190HP! I... did not know that!). Talk about bang for buck.

Like a lot of people, it seems, I like the look of the gen 3's better (plus they would be cheaper), but I keep reading about that damn VTC issue. I understand that they can be disconnected electronically - but doesn't this reduce low-end performance? At that point would you be better off with the 160 HP engine in the GXE?? (At what point does the VTC stop working - when it first makes noise, or does it work even after the diesel-like sounds kick in?)

Do you think that it's better to just avoid all the potential VTC hassle and just get a gen 4, even though it will be more $?

This would be a city car so I don't need anything swanky. If it wasn't for the VTC problems a well-maintained gen 3 seems like it would be perfect.

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
tmann202
92 SE bought new; 204K miles. Bose radio crapped out; window regulators replaced, starter replaced, power steering idler gear replaced, water pump replaced. Other than that, no issues. Had the VTC repaired under extended warranty at 90K, it was just making a slight clicking noise, like a lifter. Runs like a champ; over thirty mpg on the road and bust ass acceleration for a 13 year old sedan.
Reply to
bud smith

Nice. I wonder how neglectful you have to be with oil changes for the VTCs to go bad.

CD

Reply to
Codifus

I've changed the oil every 3,000 miles since I bought it. The replacement was some springs as I remember it.

Reply to
bud smith