changing fuel filter

Has anybody change a fuel filter on nissan maxima 90?

Reply to
ampactnet

Yep, done it and got the Tee shirt. Do it to avoid a fuel pump overload situation if you haven't changed the filter in the last 5 years.

Chris

90 & 94 GXE
Reply to
Chris H

What do you mean by got the Tee shirt ? Do you mean that you got fuel all over your Tee shirt ? The instruction says that you should depressurize the fuel line. Is this necessary ? If you don't, would I get fuel squirting all over the car ?

Reply to
cherrytan

The t-shirt he got had the following markings: " I replaced my own fuel filter".

over your Tee shirt ?

necessary ? If you don't, would I get fuel squirting all over the car ?

Reply to
Daniel

You just pull the fuel pump fuse, trying starting the car and then you should have bled all the fuel line pressure. After that, it's a piece of cake that you don't want to get on your new Tee shirt!

Chris

90 & 94 GXE's
Reply to
Chris H

Changing this filter is the most miserable, near-impossible job I've ever seen.

Don't go telling a novice it's easy unless you're just kidding.

JM

Reply to
JM

That's been my experience as well. But you know what? Maximas with anti-lock brakes have it REAL HARD. But Maximas without ABS have it quite a bit easier. The added brake lines for ABS turn the relatively easy fuel-filter-change job into a near impossibility.

CD

JM wrote:

Reply to
Codifus

Oh. Chris has GXE's. No anti-lock brakes. Well, never mind then. I always thought Chris had good sense & I just didn't know where he was coming from on this one.

Thanks for the explanation.

JM

Reply to
JM

It's the ABS system that makes it hell on 4th gens. I know, I've got them.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

If you have ABS, you are better off putting the front on ramps, disconnecting the hose connected to the upper end (not the end connected to the fuel filter), and then bringing the fuel filter down and replacing it from below.

CW

Reply to
CW

On cars with ABS, it's still in the same place, but there's all these ABS lines in the way. Then the feul filter change job becomes quite a biatch of a job:)

CD

Chris H wrote:

Reply to
Codifus

Geez, you guys are such wimps! You mean you don't like getting gas splashed on your bleeding knuckles??!! Damn straight it's easier on a GXE-- right there on the firewall, big as Dallas. Just give 'er a yank. No whining here, boys.

Chris

Reply to
Chris H