Grinding noise at startup

My 2000 Max has recently started making a grinding bearing sound when I first start it in the morning. Unfortunately, the sound only lasts about two seconds so I haven't been able to get my head under the hood to see where the noise is coming from. The sound only occurs the first time I start my car in the morning and even then it is intermittent. Having someone else start the car while I listen is a problem because I leave for work early before my neighbors are awake. Has anyone ever experienced similar symptoms?

Thanks!

Reply to
feynmanfan88

Sometimes on th e4th gens the starter bendix (gear) doesn't disengage from the flywheel immediately. You get a grinding noise as the flywheel bumps off the starter gear. Tends to begin as a cold weather thing.

Replacing the starter will fix it, but if you're DIY then take out the starter and clean out/regrease the mechanism that slides the bendix over. That's worked for some people for 10s of thousands of miles. Worth the effort, if you're capable.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

I have a 1998 Maxima that does the same thing. It's been going on for over

70K miles. I believe the recall that Nissan issued concerning the alternator\starter should fix this, although I have yet to take mine in. Hope this is useful. ryan93LWB
Reply to
ryan93lwb