My '02 SE 6-speed Almost Killed Me Within 2 hrs of Buying It!!!!

Hey, y'all. I just bought a '02 SE 6-speed with 68,000 miles on it. As I was entering the interstate to drive home, I accelerated into the passing lane, and the engine completely stalled out. I fought through interstate traffic to the shoulder, where the car would not restart. It would idle for about 2 secounds, then the rpm would bounce down to complete stall.

Needless to say, the dealer picked me up from the side of the interstate, and towed the car to the Nissan dealership to be diagnosed. He suspects a camshaft sensor, which was a recall item on this model. However, the sensor was apparently replaced in '04 in response to the recall. The owner of the lot says that they're going to fix whatever the problem is -- it won't be on me. However, the sales contract states that I'm buying the car AS IS. I don't distrust them, but I could be exposed to getting screwed.

Please give me some feedback on this. I just bought a car that died within 2 hours of driving it off of the lot!!! Part of me says, "ditch it," but I really liked this car. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Reply to
ronshoe

I know it's giving you some buyer's remorse, but things break on all cars. I'd just be happy it did it while you have recourse. In most states it's illegal to sell a car as-is, no matter what the contract says. An '02 six speed is a nice car. I'd let them fix it and enjoy it.

Reply to
JimV

Wow, that sucks. I heard the six speed was a real kick in the behind to drive too. I'd take Jim's advice, get it fixed and enjoy the car. I didn't have problems with my used '00 until about year and a half after I bought with the well documented for my model year ignition coil problem. I paid for that out of pocket as a DIY'er and haven't had much of a problem since.

Curious, what state is this in?

I'd check the laws > Hey, y'all. I just bought a '02 SE 6-speed with 68,000 miles on it. As

Reply to
Mike Walsh

I'm in Alabama, and I hope you're right. It was such a let down to go from driving the Max 6-speed, to a loaner Odyssey.

Reply to
Scrotboy

Loaner?!! This dealer is going all-out to make you happy. They obviously have a good reputation and are interested in protecting it, or they'd have left you on the side of the road. The max is not known for "mystery problems" that can't be solved. Since you like the car, let them fix it. I don't know about Alabama as to "as is" sales (call your state Attorney General's office) but it is quite common and enforceable by sellers in most states.

Reply to
jmattis

I'm sure that everything will be fine. I haven't seen any "red flags" with these guys.

Reply to
Scrotboy

well, most states require that you have X amount of days to return a car. (my parents did it with a used jeep they bought). also, AS-IS really doesn't apply, because no car can be sold as is (even if bought from a private owner, you still have a certian amount of time (depending on state) to actually return the car)). so while it's there I'd have everthing checked out. also check your states laws and see what the actual times are.

Reply to
Nick

Well, all's well that ends well (hopefully). Diagnostics revealed that the Mass Air Flow Sensor had failed. Since it has been replaced (by the dealer, not me), the car runs like a champ. So far the dealer has been 100% responsive, agreeable, and easy to work with. They have done an excellent job of resolving what could have been a nightmare, and have earned a happy customer.

Reply to
Scrotboy

Glad to hear your issues were solved!

I just bought a '02 6-spd SE myself, with 42k miles & love it!

You should be thankful you found a good dealer that cares about customer service! Many dealers just churn through the customers and don't give a @#$# about the quality of service they provide..

BTW: what has your mileage been like?

Cheers,

BR

Reply to
Bertrand in Calgary

I am amazed at how often I hear of dealers that screw the customer, especially in the U.S.A.

From what I have been told, auto-repairs account for more than 60% of a dealerships annual income. That being the case, would they not want repeat business given by happy customers?

rtt

***
Reply to
Richard Tomkins

Low 20's I think so far, but I haven't even had it for a week of solid driving yet -- and, let's just say I've been enjoying the horsepower upgrade from my '95 626 4-cylinder. Once the newness wears off, I'm sure my mileage will improve, but for now it's nice to beat people off the line.

Reply to
Scrotboy