NGK plugs = performance

Code indicated a misfire in the 1st cylinder. Took NissTech's advice and put in the correct NGK plugs for my 99 GLE. They were $10 apiece at Autozone or Advance Auto, but well worth it. Also replaced the air filter.

Bosch platinum plugs stole my horsepower! Threw those suckers in the trash. Don't think you can save a buck on plugs. This car moves once again.

Jim G

Reply to
Jim G

Way to Go Jim,

Glad to hear the '99 Max is back to normal.

Reply to
NissTech

Is there much difference between the plugs for a '99 vs. plugs for a '91? I always buy NGK's from the dealer when replacing, and a set of 6 only costs about $12-$14. At $10 per, what is the difference? Just curious.

Thanks,

Bill G '91 SE Auto

Reply to
Bill G

NGK has a "regular" plug and a platinum one. The plats go 90K miles easily while the regulars need to be swapped out every 30K or so. Ends up being cheaper to use plats if you are paying someone to replace them for you.

Reply to
Steve T

I thought 95-99 Maximas recommend a platinum change at 60K miles, whereas the 2000 and later boast about 100K mile intervals.

Also, the 91 max has a totally different engine, the VG30, as opposed to the VQ series. The same spark plug change intervals apply to that engine as well?

CD

Reply to
Codifus

CD, The air/fuel/timing tuning in different engines using the same spark plugs can lead to a different recommended service interval for the plugs, as in the case of the VQ30DEs using NGK platinums with a 60k interval and the VQ30DE-Ks recommending a 100k interval.

I have read about plugs seizing in aluminum heads after a while (so

100k might be problematic when you go to pull the plugs) - any comments on this from the Techs on this?

Nirav

96 Max GLE, 121k
Reply to
njmodi

Not a problem with the NGK plats. The Z32 engines easily go 100K on plug changes and I've never seen one that was even the slightest bit tight to remove.

Reply to
Steve T