Nissan Maxima Disk Brake Pad Question - Year 2001

Nissan Maxima Brakes Question - Year 2001

Have 40k miles and noticed brake pads a bit thin. Also a little squeak out of the right rear brake. There are Disks all the way around.

I usually would go to Nissan as I had a bad experience one time with some pads that deteriorated and warped my rotors worse than they were.

I noticed the rotors were somewhat scored so I had all rotors turned. I also had this done since when I stopped, the front of the car would shimmy a bit which got worse over time (all wheels are aligned, new tires, etc...).

They removed the stock (came with car) brake pads and used Ceramix Brand (#7421). I asked if these were compatible with the Nissan Maxima and they said yes.

1***Do you think these pads are okay? Or should I have Nissan pads which perhaps may be made out of another material?

2***Unfortunately Nissan told me (I did not take car to them for this job) that they have an entire new caliper assembly I would need to shell out another $150 for since they (Nissan) found out it was somewhat more powerful than the stock one Nissan supplies. I asked why this was not considered a recall and they simply said it was not.

So basically would like some input on #1 above with respect to brake pad type and if I am okay and comment son #2 from Nissan owners.

Thanks Patty

Reply to
pattyjamas

Found that the recurring theme with some Maxima's is an inadequate set of rotors (too small and too vulnerable to heat). Read over 72 complaints from people who had to replace brakes/rotors(or resurface) after 15-30k miles. Seems like Nissan does not offer a perm fix. They really should beef up the calipers assembly in the front which I was told they did - but you pay for this (not a recall). Also told to solve the problem permanently is to get your own Rotor (not drilled) that is larger and will still fit on the car.

Patty

Reply to
pattyjamas

Patty,

Tell them to forget it. Your factory brakes are excellent. Go and buy the premium pads from Nissan and get new shim kits and if you need rotors go to Checker or Autoz> Nissan Maxima Brakes Question - Year 2001

Reply to
john smith

Had rotors turned. Rust is gone and they look fine. Had Napa pads put on. Seems okay for now. Will see how it works over next 6 months. There are 72 complaints out there on Nissan Maxima braking system--rotors not large enough and so on.. Thanks, Patty

Reply to
pattyjamas