Reprogramming the ECM for P0420

I just had the code P0420 come up with the SES light in my 2001 Maxima, and from some reading online it seems that there's a TSB to handle this. The problem is that my car has over 80k miles and the dealer told me that it would cost over $300 to service the TSB. Is that a reasonable charge or is there a way I can do this myself or for cheaper? Thanks, Dave

Reply to
davejohansen

no its not, but you do not have a choice - only a dealer can reflash the ECU program (new program sets the trip point for this code higher).

You might be having some O2 sensor issues to...

Reply to
common_ sense

Thanks for the info. Dave

Reply to
davejohansen

The light actually just went off, so I think that it probably just needs the ECU reprogram to avoid these false alarms, but is there something that I can do to check the O2 Sensor or make sure that there isn't a real problem? Thanks, Dave

Reply to
davejohansen