106 Cambelt replacement

I want to change my cambelt on my 106 1.1 8 valve Independence.

My question is in the Haynes Manual it says that I need to use a special tool (seem something) It says that this must be used and if not to check the new belt with a Peugeot Agent. The Auto data manual says the same. Are these instructions necessary or can I do this like I have done on other cars with never a problem, as the belt has teeth if it is in the sprockets correctly the adjustment is fairly obviously tight enough not to jump off and not to slip but not overtight.

Any advice please

Regards

John Lousvet

Reply to
johnlousvet

We have done many cam belts on 106 with out using this tool.(but it was ready to use just incase we needed to use it)if it is fitted into the teeth and timing dos not move and all lined up you should have no problem.but dont do the ajuster up to tight. good luck .. from Chris Addlestone Surrey..

Reply to
Chris

What you need to do is fit the belt and tension it. Take out the locking pins and start the engine. Rev it gently and watch the belt. It should not flap at all when being revved or when the revs decrease. That means it is too loose. Then listen for any whine which indicates it is too tight. Adjust accordingly.

Reply to
nigel