106 cambelt change

I want to change my cambelt on my 106 1.1 8 valve Independence.

My question is in the Haynes Manual it says that I need to use a special tool (seem something) It says that this must be used and if not

to check the new belt with a Peugeot Agent. The Auto data manual says the same. Are these instructions necessary or can I do this like I have

done on other cars with never a problem, as the belt has teeth if it is

in the sprockets correctly the adjustment is fairly obviously tight enough not to jump off and not to slip but not overtight.

Any advice please

Regards

John Lousvet

Reply to
johnlousvet

I presume its the same as the TU1 engine from my 205. If it doesnt have keyless sprockets (i.e. the crankshaft sprocket has got a keyway and a cant be placed at odd angles, some new french cars have this, i hate it) then it will just be teh belt tension measuring tool. I never used one but ive always used the 45-90 twist degree on longest run method and never had a problem. Two on TU1 engines and two renault engines at least. If you're fairly large in the forearm like me go for 60 degrees

- if youre a twig go for 90 degrees :)

Reply to
Coyoteboy