307's really this bad?

I have a 206 which is ultra reliable but need a bigger car so was looking at a 2-3 year old 307 SW HDI but after looking around the Internet I have been put right off buying one by the complaints about them.

Are 307's really as bad as what I am reading?

TIA

Muz

Reply to
mustaphasiddique

Go for a test drive and find out..then let us all know how it went.

Reply to
Chris

Driving one is not the problem. It is the reliability that is in question.

Reply to
mustaphasiddique

I think if you went by all the reports you read on the web and the car press then in the end you would not buy anything. I think with any car out there they are going to have some sort of faults, if not when the car is new then a few months down the line, like the 406, rusty rear brake disks. Air con playing up, due to various reasons. Remember when the Ford Mondeo first came out and they had a problem of steering to the left. Or as seen on TV the Renault bonnets that fly open. I think the trouble is that like they say for every bad report you tell 10 people for every good report you only tell 1 person. So I think you have to add up what you see as plus points and take your chances unfortunately. GGJ

Reply to
Gary G Jones

I would agree with all that. I have seen accounts of problems with the

307, but this is because I have mainly only looked for 307 reports. My own 307 SW has been fairly good. The only issues have been common to other HDI models, so cannot be blamed on the 307, with the exception of one front wheel bearing (at 100k). The most unreliable car in our household has been a VW.
Reply to
Brian

have a look at the time on the clock when you get in the car and see if it is the right time. Also take a look at the battery cover and see if it looks like it has been lifted many times. Both tell you that the radiator fan doesn't switch off when you switch the ignition off. It just keeps going until the battery goes dead. A common problem that can take forever and cost a lot of money to get sorted. (As you can probably guess, mine did and still does this. Very frustrating!). Oh yes, and it doesn't do 54MPG!

I would agree with all that. I have seen accounts of problems with the

307, but this is because I have mainly only looked for 307 reports. My own 307 SW has been fairly good. The only issues have been common to other HDI models, so cannot be blamed on the 307, with the exception of one front wheel bearing (at 100k). The most unreliable car in our household has been a VW.
Reply to
Lenny

I bought a 307 HDI 2 liter last year ocotber. Now The car has driven 164,000 km. Sofar i did nit see a problem it enjoy's me every day I m using it. What e wonderful Peugeot is this.

J.van der Veen Netherlands schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@m3g2000hsc.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Jur van der Veen

However, conversely I have from personal experience found that "common faults" really do mean common.

Over 6 years, our (when obtained) 3 year old 306 suffered from:

Repeated worn suspension bushes (replaced twice in 6 years with little speed hump use) Dodgy airbag/pre-tensioner wiring causing airbag light to keep coming on (easy to fix temporarily) Dodgy central locking wiring due to break in door hinge (thankfully only a problem when locking from drivers door, unlike other people which stopped you locking at all) Window regulator cable snapping (mild steel rusted through!) Idle control valve failure. Finally, coilpack spiking ECU causing odd problems.

I believe all of these are common problems for the 306.

We replaced it with a Ford Focus, only to find that within a week or two, it had suffered from another 'common problem' for that model - leaky washer jets leaking into the spark plug wells causing corrosion of the plugs and leads leading to a misfire. Fixed under warranty, but required a head removal as one plug snapped. Glad it happened then and not 6 months later when warranty had expired.

So, from my experience - listen to these 'common problems'. I've yet to have a car which has not experienced a number of them.

Of course, you need to determine which really are common, and which aren't. Lets just say I didn't quite get that right with the 306 (although I loved the car, and all in all, it wasn't too bad once you accepted its faults).

Gary G J> I think if you went by all the reports you read on the web and the car press

Reply to
David Hearn