307 Transmission noise

I have a 307 automatic with 220k km on the clock. It has just developed a nasty grinding/booming noise from the front left side. It varies with only with road speed (ie not with engine speed, or direction, or acceleration/braking) My garage says I need a new gearbox (which will cost more than the car is worth). Are they just trying to sell me a new car, or could it be something much cheaper to repair? Any advice appreciated. Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Wells

Dont sound like gearbox not with a grinding /booming noise. it could be a drivshaft bearing making a noise. have u had that side driveshaft checked?or you could look on e,bay for a box then do the job that way.

Reply to
Chrs

Hi Chris Thanks for the advice. It was just my luck, but just before I got to the garage, the noise almost stopped, and I think the guy was only guessing. It is bad again already on the way home. Do you know what a wheel bearing noise sounds like? My problem is a low frequency Dont sound like gearbox not with a grinding /booming noise. it could be

Reply to
Andrew Wells

jack car up and listen to the noise when u turn the wheel, u will hear a wheel bearing.while up u can turn it each way and look at same time then u might be able to find fault. chris addlestone surrey

Reply to
Chrs

I'm putting my money on drive shaft.

Reply to
tricky4000

A 50 Hz ish noise really sounds like the noise I had when the LH front wheel bearing went on my 307. If you jack up each front wheel in turn you will find one more difficult to turm. Chances are that you will not hear the noise when turning by hand. On mine it was the plastic cage which had broken up. there was no noise in the bearing, or play when turning by hand. It was only when I took the hub off the drive shaft that i could really prove it was the bearing. Bad news, the bearing is a special with a magnetic strip on one side for the ABS to sense. Cost about £95 from Peugeot. Places like GSF and Euro Car Parts were cheaper, but had no stock, and of course I needed the car as was going on hols a couple of days later.

Reply to
Brian

OK, so far Peugeot say it's a gearbox (ie a write-off) and the local garage say it's a wheel bearing. Will keep you posted. My money's on a wheel bearing, of course. "Brian" a écrit dans le message de news:

35mUi.99773$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe7-gui.ntli.net...
Reply to
Andrew Wells

So did you jack it up and have a look yourself? i am saying it is a wheel bearing

Reply to
Chrs

Hi Guys So, yes, it was a wheel bearing and not a gearbox. Now we're running sweet as a nut.. Thank you for your support. Thanks for everything, Peugeot. Andrew "Chrs" a écrit dans le message de news:

20071028193710.5021a769@compaq...
Reply to
Andrew Wells

Well, if nothing else, you will always in future recognise the sound of a wheel bearing on the way out.

Moral of the story, always look for the easiest and cheapest solution first.

And ask here of course. Glad we were right though.

Reply to
Brian