405 Horn - does it only work with engine running

The horn on my daughter's '89 405 (petrol) will only operate with the engine running.

With the ignition on, pressing the horn button will operate a relay and dim the dash lights but the horn doesn't work.

Is that normal for these cars? Well, it is French........

I don't want to start pulling the electrics apart for no reason. The Haynes manual electrical diagrams aren't a lot of use as they don't cover her car. Some parts do, soem don't.

Ron Beckett Emu Plains, Australia

1995 P38A Range Rover HSE 4.6 Litre V8 1984 Land Rover 110 County 3.5 Litre V8
Reply to
p38arover

Hello,

although I can only talk about the German version of this car (I got one), I doubt this is normal.

The behaviour of my car is:

a) Horn and flash lights work with and without ignition. b) Pushing the horn button (on the top end of the direction lever) does not switch any relay c) Pulling the lever gives flash light, if the front light is off d) When lights are on, flash light does not work, but switches to high beam (so you have to switch to low beam again)

Hope this helps,

Gerd.

Reply to
"Beate u. Gerhard Weiß"

Find the horn, clean the contacts, ensure a good earth. Seems like a poor earth which is being overcome by the extra power from the alternator whilst the engine is running. DaveK.

Reply to
davek

Thanks gents.

I suspected that it should work with the engine off. I shall look into it.

Regards

Ron

Reply to
p38arover