Taction Control

I won't mention the word Freelander to much because I know you boys frown on such words, but I don't believe the traction control is working. The viscous couple is fine, as I have drive to the rear axle, but only one wheel of each axle will spin if I get it stuck. The ABS is working fine. Any ideas?

Mick

Reply to
Mick

OK... I meant TRACTION.

Reply to
Mick

Hello, Mick!

Is it fitted (read activated in the ECU)? Don't assume it has it - I've recovered more than my fair share of Freelanders that have no traction control - it was a dealer option at one time...!

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

Thanks for this Neil

Is thier any way that I can establish if it is fitted (activated).

Mick

Reply to
Mick

Hello, Mick!

Hmmm - normal way - send me the chassis number - send it to dmd@mud*gnu*-club.com (remove the *gnu*)

I'll check the build list for you.

Also, when you fire it up, it should light up all active systems - does the (TC) light come on?

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

does the same go for P38a ? I have a m reg dt there doesnt seem to be a diff lock of any kind so surely there must be TC ?

Reply to
<chris

You don't tell us what year, so it's difficult to tell.

From my own experience the TC on Freelanders is crap even when it is fitted. It only works when you are doing around 30 MPH (or the equivalent with a wheel spiinning) before it does anything at all. To be fair though when it does kick in it does work quite well. The only way to get it to work off road is to go balls out, that way the TC wakes up when it's supposed to.

I trialled a Freebie once (mine) and found that the only way of getting it through a section was by travelling at a speed that made the, normally sedate, trial look like a comp. safari. In this mode the TC worked brilliantly and was actually quite impressive when it pulled itself out of a cross axle hole that a couple of (none TC) Discos had got themselves stuck in previously. I only did a couple of sections though as it was likely to work out expensive if I continued.

If it's from a similar era as mine (1998) then it won't have TC unless it's also got HDC - look for the daft yellow switch on the gear lever.

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

Its December 2000. It has got a TC light which comes on when you fire it up.

Well this probably explains why I recon it don't work. If trying to get up a slippery slope isn't going to wake the TC up, then i'm buggered if I know what use it is. I wasn't going to get crap plastered all up the side by reving it because its a hair dressers car isn't it! In my case, its a school bus and shopping trolly:-) Recon i'll stick to getting my 300Tdi Disco Commercial plastered across a ploughed field. No TC their, but never seem to need it!

Mick

Reply to
Mick

I know my rangie makes a noise like a school wooden ruler being twanged on the desk when trac control is doing its thing

Si

Reply to
Si K

To test your TC find a hill (on road or off road) that is covered in snow, ice or wet grass, doesn't need to be to steep. Point your freeloader up it. Make as though you are going to do a wheelspin (about 2500-3000 rpm in wifes Td4) and pull the clutch in quite sharpish. You should get a teeny bit of wheelspin which will quickly halt. The orange 'TC' light should come on. Once activated the light remains on for 2 or 3 seconds after TC is deactivated. I agree that on a Freeloader the TC is crap at low speed. TC will not work if you slip the clutch, which is often what you have to do when offroading a Freeloader due to the lack of a low box. I got my wife Td4 stuck in a smallish hole on an unsurfaced road whilst reversing. Because I was going so slowly and slipping the clutch the TC did bugger all and I had to pull out forwards and retry again with momentum.

Cheers, Stew.

Reply to
90ninety

That's all very well for you to say! But where do we in Oz get (a) snow, (b) ice or even (c) wet grass?

We're in a drought!

Ron Beckett Emu Plains, Australia

1995 P38A Range Rover HSE 4.6 Litre V8 (with TC)
Reply to
The Becketts

You do get sand and gravel, you have grass, you have a hosepipe and taps. Work it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stew.

Reply to
90ninety

Around the ski resorts in the SE mountain ranges? Though probably not in the summer, like now... B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On or around Fri, 26 Nov 2004 23:57:33 +1100, "The Becketts" enlightened us thusly:

in the snowy mountains, I assume.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Water restrictions mean we can't use our hosepipes anymore. $220 fine.

Ron Beckett Emu Plains, Australia

1995 P38A Range Rover HSE 4.6 Litre V8

Reply to
The Becketts

Heck, that's 7 months and 500km away!

Ron Beckett Emu Plains, Australia

1995 P38A Range Rover HSE 4.6 Litre V8

Reply to
The Becketts

But not until mid-winter and that's a long way off. And so are the Snowy Mountains

Ron Beckett Emu Plains, Australia

1995 P38A Range Rover HSE 4.6 Litre V8

Reply to
The Becketts

I've seen ice and snow in the Victoria Alps in February. I have a photo somewhere - the first time my sister (then 14) had seen snow, having grown up in Malaysia and Melbourne.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

7 months is a while but I thought 500 clicks was not much more than a day trip to an Ozzy? B-)
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You're right. But I'm going north not south on Friday. Besides, it's been 42 deg C around here lately