406 key problems

Hello all.

I just got out of my 1999 2.0HDI 406 estate and went to remotely lock the car and the key seems dead. The indicator light on the key operates but no luck locking the car. I once saw a method of programming the key, and was wondering if anybody knows how to do it and if there is any chance of my key having lost it's code. I took the battery out for a short time and then replaced it, the light came on until I pressed the deadlock button but still it don't work.

Your help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Jerry. snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com

Reply to
JERRY SMITH

so what about renewing the battery, it helped on my key anyway...

Reply to
Marc

if you r sure the batt is fine try this. turn on your ignition in the first position, press and hold the key for

15 sec. then remove the key. wait for a min then lock and open the door manually en then wait 5 min and try the remote...
Reply to
axl

The instructions for reprogramming a non functioning key after changing its battery are described on page 106 of the handbook. If you haven't got it to hand it says the following:-

Press button A (the main button on the key) until the indicator light stops flashing Release the button, the indicator light is lit continuously Press the button twice near the vehicle Switch the ignition on for at least three seconds Switch off the ignition

The remote control should now be operational again.

Hope this works for you.

Reply to
Robin Bendall

Hello

Sorry to be a bit vauge on this but is it the same if you buy another key or do you have to go to dealer for one. I have just got a 1998 2.0 406 gxl to replace the Mondeo ghia that was wrote off and am a bit new to other cars as I have had fords for the last 12 years (just fancied a change and we like the shape)

Regs Andy

P.S. any other help hints or tips on the 406 would be of great help. thanks

Reply to
Andy

Reply to
M. H. Greaves

Hi Thanks for that no it has one key with it. But cannot find the card that you are on about?. I was just wondering as you see the plips them selves that are on ebay at around 40 quid so there must be a way of recodeing them to you code? then just have the blank cut to fit in the plip? Hope Im on the righttrack

Regs andy

Reply to
Andy