406 Key

Hi,

Just bought my 406 :-)

Now the previous owners have lost the main key (the one with the buttons on) and Paugeot want 130 GBP for a replacement.

However, I may be able to source one from elsewhere. If I can then, how do I program it? Do i take it to Peugeot to get the metal bit? And, will and Peugeot key do (i.e. one from a 306) or does it have to be specifically for the 406?

TIA Oli

Reply to
Oli

My locksmith has a gadget which can copy the code of one key into another.

Reply to
ken kerrison

Reply to
M. H. Greaves

Certainly the code is unique to the vehicle (as was the old yale-type key) but my impression is that it can be read in much the same way as the microchips which are placed in animals and an increasing range of other things for the purpose of indentification.

Reply to
ken kerrison