51 206 1.4 LX Service (Self)

Hello,

I am thinking of servicing my 206 (petrol 51 plate) myself. I intend to change the oil, replace the oil filter, the air filter and the spark plugs. My oil filter is the type that sits inside a housing (first car I have had that has had this).

Is this a fairly straightforward job, will I need any special tools? ( I have the usual socket set and spanners).

I have serviced my cars before, a Vauxhall Nova and an Austin Metro which were fairly easy.

Thanks for your advidce

Reply to
SnoopGroggyGrog

I had a horrendous job getting the old filter out the casing - think it was just brute force in the end, but there's probably a £300 tool you can buy for it!

Other than that - no probs.

Reply to
Rob

Reply to
SnoopGroggyGrog

You need a 27mm socket on a long extension with a ratchet. You will notice on a 206 that the power steering pipes are in the way of a direct route on to the filter. Just put the socket on to the filter casing and pass the extension through between the pipes. Now just undo the housing. It shouldn't be too tight. Have a container on the floor underneath to catch the oil! If you are lucky the actual filter will stay with the housing. Just lift it out. Sometimes the filter will stay in the bottom part and the housing will come away empty. In that case grab hold of the filter (with gloves on) and pull it out. To refit put the new filter into the housing and with the flat of your hand tap it down so that it locks in place. Renew the seal and screw it back in. Tighten with the socket but NOT too tight. 10NM is the recommended torque. The sump plug is the usual 4 sided internal type. Everything elsa is straight forward although the coil pack can be a bit of a game to line up with the plugs!! You'll see what I mean. You just need a bit of patience.

Reply to
nigel

You would, wouldn't you? Maybe yours will...it looks like a simple paper thing with no strength to it. Mine took ages of farting around, mainly 'cos I wasn't sure it was just force, not a technique.

Bon chance!

Reply to
Rob

Reply to
SnoopGroggyGrog

It's the usual for Peugeots. An 8mm square key like this:

Phil Cook

Ok Thanks, That doesnt look too bad, Halfords will probably have one.

This is probably a daft question but where are the spark plugs? Are they behind the engine block - because if they are it looks like a terrible job to get them out, there looks like a lot of stuff to remove.

Phil Cook wrote:

Reply to
SnoopGroggyGrog