Clutch question

Hi folks,

I've got a Pug 307 2.0 HDi and the clutch has started to make a graunching noise (currently only noticeable in 1st gear and when the car is starting off uphill), last week it was at the top of the pedal travel as you are releasing the clutch and this week is now near the middle of the clutch pedal travel.

My guesses of the reason are (in order of probability)

  1. clutch release bearing
  2. clutch friction material
  3. that bloody dual mass flywheel
  4. clutch pedal/cylinder problem (feels the same as it always has done)

Can anybody help confirm what is wrong and anybody got any rough estimates of how much it is likeley to cost? The car has just under 60k mles on it and is a '51 plate.

Thanks,

Chris

Reply to
Chris Dugan

well it sounds like the bearing,also the cost could be =A378 per hour in most garages,

Reply to
Chrs

Depends on where you are, and independents are usually rather less.

Reply to
Brian

Job for you Brian??

Reply to
Chrs

Thanks for the confirmation guys,

I got a few quotes today from down here in the deep south (Portsmouth):

Peugeot dealer £670 Large independent £509 Small independent £390

All fitted inc vat.

So I think I'll be going with the small indy; the local cab co's use them so they must be good and worth it and they seemed to know what they were talking about!

The reason it's so much? Clutch kit is about £130-£180 and then there's approx 5 hours of labour involved. The gearbox has to come out as there's not enough room to just split it and the engine apart to change the clutch then align everything before re-assembling. I'm hoping the dual mass flywheel is ok as that is £400 on its own without labour!

Most things I'll do myself but when it's getting into major work like clutch and headgaskets I'd rather pay a garage to do it, especially as I don't have the equipment or anywhere to to the work myself.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Dugan