petrol in hdi

my old woman decided to put unleaded 10 litres of unleaded in the tank of my 306 hdi. the engine has not been started. where's the best place to drain from, and will i get away with a simple drain and re-fuell?

.. yes, she is blonde!

Reply to
unclebuck

Lets not be blondist!

10% petrol in diesel is about the maximum you should risk. How much was in the tank when she added the petrol? If it was almost empty, then if you can get 5 or 6 litres out, then fill it up with diesel you ought to be ok. The problem is not combustion but lubrication of the high pressure pump and injectors. I suppose you could also add a bit of oil to the tank to offset the petrol too. Keep the fuel you remove, and use it to top up the next couple of tankfuls. Don't kow where you should drain the tank from, but if you disconnect the fuel feed to the filter, point the pipe at a container and turn on the ignition, the fuel lift pump should do it's bit. How quickly though I don't know.

Good luck. At least she won't do it again, She is not the first, nor will she be the last.

Brian.

Reply to
brian

Garage I know charges £300 for callout, towing and drain, and they keep what gets drained out. They use it in old Land Rover. Bit of fun, but it could save many a problem. I bought a little box of tricks called DieselGuard. About the size of a matchbox, sticks inside the fuel filler lid and tells you (in macho American of course) that, 'This vehicle runs on diesel fuel-diesel fuel only. Warning- fill with diesel fuel'. No wiring- it's the same technology that gave us talking and singing greeting cards. About £14. DaveK.

Reply to
davek

just fill it up with diesel, that much petrol won't harm the engine, did the same myself not long ago when we got a new (to us) deisel car after driving a petrol car for years

hair colour has nowt to do with it (c;

LJ

Reply to
in2minds

NO NO NO

the HDi should have no petrol in any percentage in its HP pump

wich run at almost twice the presure as a normal diesel and therefore dont react to well to petrol

you wil ruin the pump and injector doing so

best is to disconnect the fuelhose just before the filterhousing put the car on ignition, the primepump now starts pumping the fuel wait til nothing comes out, then fill the tank with some three four litres of diesel and pump that out to.

now put in a little bit of diesel again, and pump til some diesel comes out, do not let it run dry however. reconnect the fuelhose.

use the obsolute fuel for a summer BBQ or a nice campfire

Reply to
Marc

Drain it fully before you even think of starting the engine. A similar 'accident' has just cost a mate at work over £1700 because he drove the car. High pressure diesel pumps are particularly intolerant of loss of the lubrication that diesel has and petrol hasn't.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Hi,

I'd say up to 10 times the pressure of an old-school Diesel : about 130-150 bars for a classic Diesel, up to 1200-1300 bars for a HDi. And yes, it doesn't like petrol at all.

Depending on where is the feeding pump (the electric one), I'd rather disconnect before the pump (if it's an external one), 'cause I don't know how the electric pump reacts with fuel... It may seize it as well (worst case).

HTH, G.T snipped-for-privacy@worldonline.fr

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

will i get away with a

But it's not a standard diesel lump, it's hdi. The pump supplies fuel to the injectors at a pressure which overcomes cylinder compression pressure. I think it's about 5,000psi. Not sure of the technology but it's not designed for anything other than diesel fuel. I wouldn't take the chance,-complete drain and flush through with diesel. DaveK.

Reply to
davek

injectors arent too keen either and they are £250 plus each plus fitting also you are recommended to change the pipe too so add another £120 to that all plus vat

drain it all out clear it out the fuel pipes and change the fuel filter and you should get through it

Reply to
Mindwipe

ours is an hdi, 2.2 pug, and AFAICT it had no ill effects, but then I only put £3 in (not £9 ish like the OP) and filled it up with £40 of diesel.

LJ

Reply to
in2minds

your right on that, its about 1300 Bar but 150 bar was a hell of a long time ago

the fuel prime pump is an impellor type, is schould not have any problem with petrol contaminated fuel as it is the very same type used in petrol cars

Reply to
Marc

Why not admit you did it yourself? :-)

Reply to