Pug 106 TUD5 diesel pump timing

in TDC. How do I check this? Following the Haynes manual, I can see a small hole and large hold to the left of it situated on the 'flange'. If I stick a

5mm drill bit into it, and gently check for holes as I turn the crankshaft, I keep finding several holes that the bit fits into...

I think you need a 3 or 4mm pin, the procedure in the Haynes book will put the timing off by two or three teeth! There is a small, hard to reach, hole in the flange above the big hole, close to the block. This is the timing hole. Apparantly the big one is for some kind of sensor not used on this engine...

Regards, Kimjand

Reply to
Kim Johan Andersson

valves, I didn't cross-check against the inlet and exhaust manifolds.... just my luck... my TUD5 cam configuration IS TUD5 Ex-In-Ex-In-In-Ex-In-Ex!!! Which means that Haynes is wrong (certainly for my engine). I believe that the engine is (was) a recon anyways!

The TUD3 and TUD5 use the exact same camshaft, and thus valve order. The TUD3 sequence is the correct one.

only ever one hole in the flywheel that can accomodate this diameter of pin? I take it that I am using the right hole in the flange (?) - it's pretty tight on

6mm (not sure how large the timing hole in the flywheel itself is...) 6mm will NOT fit the correct hole. It is between 3 and 4 mm.

original shims... all over again.

clattering where the pistons hit the valves? Would the valve clearance now be different to my original clearance? Would you be able to rotate the crankshaft if there was a collision? I'm just a little worried that I might have caused some damage...]

When you turned it over by hand, yes. I would give you a nice DIIING sound. Though a valve might still be hit once you try to start the engine, due to incorrect tensioning.

Regards, Kimjand

Reply to
Kim Johan Andersson