stinking fan

When I put on the fan of my 406 (break, 2000) it smells like a sewer. This also happens the first minutes after I start my car and my airco starts. Can this be a filter? If so, can I clean it myself and where can I find it?

Reply to
Theo Griep

"Theo Griep" wrote in news:42b460d5$0$17219$ snipped-for-privacy@text.nova.planet.nl:

Sounds like you need to get your entire aircon system professionally serviced. Should be done every 2-3 years.

So, this would have been done at least once on your car since new?

Reply to
southpawArcher

Could be a filter but I have heard or read on other news groups that it could be mould growing on the chiller part of the AC or a blocked drain hole. You can get a sort of spray or something that you set off and leave for about 30 minutes or something with the fan set to recirculate. All this I have heard of but not experienced.

Reply to
Malc

You have bacteria growing in your AirCon system. Go buy some AirCon Disinfectant Spray from your local motor store, and empty it into the intake.

Reply to
Nom

Except that it doesn't ever need doing, providing you use the aircon on a regular basis.

Why would it ?

As long as you use the aircon regularly, then all it requires is a simple regas every few years. His problem is due to a build up of bacteria, and is solved with disinfectant.

Reply to
Nom

Specifically, something like

Nom

That's the stuff. I knew I'd read about it somewhere but couldn't put a name to it.

Reply to
Malc