1994 Grand Am wont idle

3.1 V6

I have just changed the alternator and tried to start the car. It would not start until I placed my foot on the gas. It started fine at that point and ran fine until I let my foot off the gas. As soon as I let off the gas the car stalls. I can now start it fine with my foot on the gas but still continues not to idle.

When I was taking the old altenator off I forgot to discconect the battery and remembered after a small shock when my wrench went from the alternator wire bolt and touched the engine block. It was a very slight spark and I immediatly removed the negative battery terminal afterwards. I have check all the wires and they all seem to be attached.

Does anyone know what I should check at this point? Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Luke

Reply to
Luke
[...]

I just moved the car up the drive way driving it with 2 feet and it runs great.. just wont idle. I checked the voltage with the car off it is 12.4 and run running 14.3 so the alternator is working properly... still confused..

Reply to
Luke

Is there a chance that you melted the fusible link between the alternator and the battery?

Reply to
Silver Surfer

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Thanks! I will check both these ideas out!

Cheers,

Luke

Reply to
Luke