2002 Sunfire key won't turn

Ahoy! My brother owns a 2002 Pontiac Sunfire. He went to start the car the other day and the key won't turn. I checked it out and it doesn't seem
to be the steering wheel lock. Does the ignition lock cylinder need to be replaced? He got one of those Haynes repair manuals and it says to remove the cylinder you have to put it in the run position and click a tab, but we can't get it into the run position. We were going to have it towed, but the tow truck guy said that he couldn't get the car out without damaging the cars next to it. Is there some sort of shift lock override so we can put it into neutral?
Try your second key. Move the steering wheel back and forth. It has a release button on the side, try that too. Check the shifter to verify it is in park all the way.
If all else fails, I can instruct you how to remove the lock assembly without the key in it. You will need an angle drill.
i had this problem . took vin number to dealer and he gave me the key code,had a new key made at locksmith and it worked fine . my old key was worn .