66 lemans...fuel pump question

I have a 66 pontiac lemans. I just removed the gas tank so that I can work on replacing the trunk pans (rotted through in areas).

Well, now I need to be able to move the car in and out of the garage. I can hookup a small gas can using gravity to feed the carb for this purpose. The question I have is will I damage the mechanical fuel pump by running the car without fuel running through the pump??

Should I be considering anything else? Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
elliot8

It will not be damaged. Its just a diaphram and 2 valves. No expensive motor to burn out.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

Reply to
Keith Stelter

Your point is a good one, however, I must quibble with your conversion from feet to PSI. Unless I'm mistaken it would take a little more than three feet of gasoline head to equal one PSI.

Reply to
Silver Surfer

It should work because the gas is sucked out of the bowl. Hanging a can on the hood is how we used to run carb cleaner through the system. Gas ~0.28 psi/ft.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

WHOOPS! You are absolutely right! When I typed it I got my formula backwards! Believe it or not I use that calculation every day in my job, sizing pumps and valves for industrial companies.

Reply to
Keith Stelter

Reply to
Shep

That's OK, Keith. You are forgiven. Thank goodness the rest of us NEVER make a mistake like that ;-)

Reply to
Silver Surfer

Thanks to all for the replies. The pump is an original type mechanical pump. I will try the gravity feed first, and if that does not work, I will hook up my remote gas can to the pump (I only need to be able to move it in and out of the garage periodically.

Thanks aga> >I have a 66 pontiac lemans. I just removed the gas tank so that I can

Reply to
elliot8

Just pay a little kid a dollar to sit on the radiator and spray starting fluid into the carb for as long as you need the car to run.

JUST KIDDING!!!!! PLEASE DO NOT REALLY DO THIS!!!!

Reply to
Keith Stelter

When you dropped the tank did you happen to find the build sheet. I have read that its a common place to find it on 66s.

66 GTO
Reply to

I didn't find a build sheet....of course I was preoccupied with trying to keep 40 years worth of dirt and road grime from falling in my face!

But seriously, no build sheet was found when I dr> When you dropped the tank did you happen to find the build sheet. I have

Reply to
elliot8