96 Bonneville paint

The paint is peeling off in sheets. It's like the paint is plastic and it isn't adhereing to the metal. The dealer said white was the worst at falling off and was no help in getting a fix. Anyone else having these problems? Is there a secret GM warranty on this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Philip D. Hackett

white is a horrible color to pick, it never wants to stick to anything.

Black requires alot of maintenance, waxing etc.

Red is generally the most expensive color.

Yellow is supposidly a cheaper color.

Green looks horrible.

Blue is midrange on the cost, looks good with minimum of maintenance.

silver is a good color, gives you something between black or white.

Reply to
Paradox

Ever seen red early-mid 90ish bonneville? WAY TO MUCH RED!

Silver good Grey bad. Grey fades to fast.

What color is it Phil? I never seen a bonnevilles paint peel off, seen it fade but never peel. Maybe yours was built on a monday? Do you park it under a tree or something? If its used does it look like it might of been repainted?

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

Hey now...my Grand Prix doesn't look bad in Green. I'll even get a pic somewhere of it to show ya :P

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

There's almost nothing that the owner can do to cause this, it can only be a factory defect. When I've had paint problems in the past -- even well out of warranty -- I've always found it worthwhile to pursue it with the company. Go to the original dealer and ask them politely what they can do about it. When they say "nothing" ask politely to get an appointment with the regional manager the next time he/she is visiting. Get his/her name and confirm the appointment ahead of time. When you discuss it with him/her be sure to make the point that you like the brand and hate to be a moving advertisement for paint problems.

Good luck.

JGM

Reply to
JGM

Reply to
Mike

I have a white 97 with 108K miles, never garaged, in Texas, and the paint is perfect. Could it be a poor repaint? I have seen a couple of pre-97 Bonne's with similar problems. I know GM had a problem with paint on pickups in the 95-98 range somewhere and repainted them under warranty. Maybe you should talk to the GM zone rep.

Reply to
mcshannon

Hmmm, don't know because I use to own a 95 GA and the paint still looked like it was new from the factory. Had 120K on the odometer. I think I have a Monday car.

Reply to
Mike