97 GP Belt Tensioner??

I had my 97 Grand Prix towed to the local dealer. They said it needs "a belt tensioner and a couple of "O" rings." The estimate was for $380. Anyone had any experience with having this replaced? When i took the part in that had broke i had one of the mechanics tell me it would cost about $150 to fix, but then had the service manager quote me a price much higher. Looking for any info that might help. Thanks.

Reply to
KevBud

wrote

The problem with this car and engine is that the belt tensioner is an integral part of a large piece of aluminum that also serves as a water conduit for coolant from the engine to the heater hoses. Which is why you need the "o-rings".

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

FWIW - mine broke 30 minutes from home after a 5 hour ride back from a fishing trip at the beach. 94 3.1 Pontiac Grand Prix with 130,000 miles on it. Parked it and called for a lift. Sunday afternoon.

Picked it up from Advanced Auto monday morning. Took all of 15 minutes to install. Put a new belt on it while I was at it.

Don't know about the o-rings.

Reply to
Craig Watts

"Craig Watts" wrote

That's because your vehicle has a different engine.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

No wait, canc that. It was the 3800, the engine that Chilton's says wasn't in Grand Prix's in 1997.

No wonder I was confused. State your engine people, state your engine. GW

Geoff Welsh wrote:

-- GW - Conservational Ergonomist - note incorrect email address "It's good to yell at people and tell them you're from Tennessee. That way you'll be safe." - Gary Busey

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

The Park Ave Ultra has the 3.8L engine with supercharger. Sorry I didn't mention that in the first place.

Ed

Reply to
jagerEd

Forgot to mention, this is a 3.8 liter engine, supercharged. It's used in the Buick PArk Ave Ultra as well as other GM cars.

Ed

Reply to
jagerEd

Yeah I got a yellow car, could you tell me where the oil filter is located? ;-)

Reply to
Bonnevilles R Kewl