GTO Name Origin

Visiting your newsgroup hoping you can help settle a bet. What does GTO stand for? I say it stands for Gran Turismo Omologato. My friend says "the GreaT One". Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Mark

You're right. Pontiac stole the name from the Ferrari race car that started producion in 1962.

- a l e x

Reply to
a l e x

Reply to
dmtaurus

It varied from formula to formula and from year to year. I think that the

250 GTO Ferrari was supposed to be a 200 minimum run. The old guy (Enzo) kept the officials in the dark by various dubious tricks - resulting in the total 250 GTO being much lower than that.

HTH

Ciao

Zak

Reply to
Zak McGregor

You should get smarter friends. He's too easily influence by advertising!

Reply to
Joe

Reply to
jetster