How to find answers

I often come across as a sarcastic bastard. Why? Because all too often it's obvious that someone has made no effort to help themselves before posting. Spoonfeeding is not an option. Here is a little primer that I hope will help making answers easier to find, and if an answer isn't found, to format your question in a way to get the most from your post.

You people using message boards that leech Usenet for content, don't bother. Not able to do the Usenet thing you say? Sure you can:

Pull up the group and search for your topic. 90% of the time you will find your question has already been asked and answered. Dozens of times. If nothing else, it will help you narrow down your search.

Google. Just put your problem into 3 or 4 words and hit search. You'd be amazed at how often an answer comes up in the first page of search results.

Your local library. If you have a library card you have access to online databases like "Mitchells on Demand". The library will also have copies of dang near every Motors / Chiltons / etc manual ever printed. Community colleges with auto programs are particularly good places to look.

Besides finding your answer to a particular problem, taking the time to search for yourself often results in finding out new and interesting things you would otherwise never have learned.

If after all this you are stumped, post away! Please remember that the mindreaders group is over there >>>. You need to provide all the info you can.

Year Make Model Engine Trans What have you done so far Error codes Symptoms (decent descriptions, not "It makes icky noises".)

Good Luck!

Reply to
FBR

Sarcastic bastard?? Nah............... Pompus ass?? Yeah, that's about right...............

Thank goodness this board doesn't need you anymore since 90% of all questions will never be asked. Go bitch out some other board for a while..........

Reply to
LD Hoover

who the hell left this asshole in charge of how and proper ways of addressing the group?this is for everybody to try to get answers,most are not "proper" technicians or schooled in the "proper"ways to search automotive questions.most simply ask a question the best way they can and don't need "lessons"in "proper"english,search methods,or as this sarcastic pompus ass who thinks apparently he is in charge of people asking questions thinks people need to stop wasting his time,isn't there any other groups that you can go moan,groan,bitch or have show how iggnorant you really are too??? please leave

Reply to
robert -wanda fox

Never said I was "in charge", nor did I use the word "proper" anywhere. What I did post was how to find answers. Usually faster than waiting on a NG answer and maybe learn something new besides. The only one who's shown thier ignorance is you.

Reply to
FBR

Funny, I didn't notice anyone being "bitched out" in my post.

Reply to
FBR

Yeah, you wouldn't.................and I don't think it a bit funny. Now, just go away.................

Reply to
LD Hoover

I don't think so. Don't like my posts? Fine don't read them. Now buggar off.

Reply to
FBR

you just don't get it do you??when a question is asked,people who come to get an answer from who they believe are qualified or have done the job before, are needing answers,shortcuts or the best or easiest way to do a job that is usally very big or costly to them,you give them not an answer to a question asked-but very sarcastic,put down advice not eeven related to an answer about automotives, but things of(wasting peoples time of probally often asked before questions,not getting the answer else where,using libraries,spoonfeeding "oh i love that stupid statement"bottom line is .this is a group for answering automotive questions-if you happen to have a answer to that question you have responded to in the post,we care about what a solution is, not that you have been irratated by the way or history of the post,in the future if you have an answer to the question that is being asked,by all means please share with eeveryone your input,otherwise would you please shut the hell up about "spoonfeeding,goggle groups,repeated questions,good grammer and any or all other subject matter not related to simply having an answer to help people with there problem in the post.did i say that simple and understanding enough or do you need somebody to draw pictures for you about your ignorance and bitching attatude as others in this group have pointed out too,

Reply to
robert -wanda fox

Everytime you post your total cluelessness is graphically illustrated. Perhaps I should call the WHHAAAmbulance for you, What are you, 15? Don't like my posts then don't read them. Simple as that, and simple is something you know well.

Reply to
FBR

i really get the feeling i am talking to a 60 plus year old fart who long pa st his patiance or tolerence for things that require these values,look old man,stay on your medication,get your afternoon naps and please stay off the groups if you don't know what your talking about or know anything about cars,in all your post and replies,10% have actually had something to do with the question,90% is nothing to do with repair or solution,just moan,groan and old fart bitching,isn't there something on tv like lawerence welk or mitch miller that you could be doing then wasting time here(i mean everybodys time)and for someone who thinks he is smart,you haven't got a clue dumbass to my age,because of a few mis typed words.you assume the wrong things,grow up for christ sake.

Reply to
robert -wanda fox

if I would have came to this group any earlier, or later, I would have missed this post completly, so then not only do I (the one that obviously has made no effort to search for **your prolific way of searching** , but also for my cars problem. I mean honestly, it makes no sense to belittle people like myself because I cannot find the answer, and am **obviously** not as edumacated as you to be able to find everything I need, or have the time to be able to wander aimlesly through a whole bunch of search results that have nothing to do with what I am dealing with. I may not be as smart as you FBR, but I like that people are willing to help other people, and thats why I am here.

Obviously I have done some work, and spoonfed myself to this group, related directly to my car. DUH.

How about I promise to take a class on properly searching and weeding out BS unrelated to my own situation, if you take one on humility, humanity, and human relations? If you don't want to help, then don't, I am sure you can start a group about complaining, and am sure others will join.

Thanks to LD Hoover and robert -wanda fox for taking the time to try and help the rest of us. We appreciate you not putting us down for not knowing everything.

Reply to
Modder12

Your spittle-spewing, foot-stomping little rants do nothing but show what a true assclown you are.

Reply to
FBR

So posting information about how to help yourself instead of expecting to be spoonfed is bad? I have to think you never bothered to read the entire post, just jumped on the bandwagon with the other losers who feel it's too hard to help yourself when possible. Put you down for not knowing everything? No, I pity you for not wanting to bother learning new skills.

Reply to
FBR

groups,repeated

will you please,please leave this group alone,it's apparent you have no knowledge or advice to give on fixing cars,you sir know nothing on automotives,you are bringing this group down with your childless behavior and ignorant ways,no doubt you will resort once again to name calling,but i like everyone else here is very very tired and disgusted by your child like mannor and bitching,do everyone a favor please,and find some other group to hassle and bring down to the level you are at of a 5th grader.

Reply to
robert -wanda fox

Petulant whining snipped.

So rather than looking to see if a question has already been answered (takes too much of your time), you'd rather just ask it again (taking up everyone elses time).

Reply to
FBR

my god FBR,how many times do we have to go over and over this,will you stop wasting everyones time,the only one who is irratated is you,god get over it already!!if you have something positive to add to peoples problems, please give us your input,not stupid posting proceedures,will you please grow yp and act like an adult!!!!

Reply to
robert -wanda fox

More sniveling snipped

Why don't you just ignore my posts if they bother you so much? Because you are a troll maybe? You write like a mentally challenged 12 year old, ranting because you are too lazy to do anything for yourself. Grow up and move on.

Reply to
FBR

FBR this group is for alt.autos-pontiac

People who need to have their questions answered will continue to come here. Plain and simple..................

You need to start a group called alt.autos.lookitupyourself

You can moderate.............you can rant.............you can belittle....................

It'll be like your king of the group, sort of................play to your hearts content. Folks who want to know how to look it up themselves will tune in to your rhetoric chant and be enlightened.

Folks who want the companionship of others truly interested in alt.autos-pontiac will get their questions answered here for quite a while. Some folks will write just to whine about a part or a particular car or whatever................... misery loves company and well, if it makes them feel better to commiserate with others of like mind, then that's OK by me.

I have trained many adults for large corporations and I find that there are no dumb questions. So long as one is trying to understand how to address a problem, how to approach a particular situation, or how not to approach something, they deserve our assistance.

I don't know squat about how to fix cars, but I enjoy reading about what others are doing. Some day, just maybe someday, I can say "Hey, I've heard this before and I can help." It gives me a chance to give back what I've learned. It's not about having to repeat it over and over again - It's about helping people get through what seems to be maybe the toughest situation they've faced. If I can help, or observe and learn from someone else who is helping, then I, and I believe many others that never post or respond, benefit.

When I need tips on how to lookitupmyself........you can bust my chops to your hearts content......but in your own group!!

Until then, people with pontiac questions, keep asking them...........all day and all night.........I'm learning lots and I appreciate those who write and those who answer.....................

LD Hoover

2004 Vibe - Hers 2005 Vibe - His
Reply to
LD Hoover

More cry-baby nonsense from another loser snipped.

So by pointing out tools that can not only retrieve answers but add to one's knowledge I am somehow ruining this group? I'll mention it again since you seem to be too dense to figure it out, if you don't like my posts, don't read them. Quit whining and move on.

Reply to
FBR

Aren't you the one with so many children you can't afford gas for your car? I remember you!

And it's G-R-A-M-M-A-R. HTH, HAND.

Reply to
REP