Oil Pressure Guage 90' Grand Prix LE

I have a 1990 PontiacGrand Prix LE 3.1 liter, (btw, this is a Canadian car, if that matters) recently I've noticed upon starting the vehicle, the oil pressure guage rises to it's maximum (I think it's 500-700 kpa). After approximately 10 minutes of driving, the needle settles somewhat around 250 kpa. I'm using the recommended 5W-30 oil, and as far as I can see I have no visible oil leakage. Question 1). Is it normal for the guage to fluctuate while accelerating? Question 2). And why does the guage start off so high upon initial startup?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
FattyMcGee

Without regards to the specific numbers (we use PSI in the US) it is absolutely normal for oil pressure to read high until the engine warms up. After it is warmed up, you should see pressure rise and fall with engine rpm, like while accererating. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Be glad your gauge works, on the '93s they were fake, as long as you had oil pressure they always stayed at one spot.

This message was written >

Reply to
Samuel Warren