THEFT SYS

I have a Gran Am 1998 and would like to know how to permanently deactivate the 'theft sys'.(engin won't start if blinking). Cause when i use the "remote starter" ( a add-on kit), it engage the theft system and the engin won't start. I know how to disable it when it is arm ( keep key on for 10 minutes). But during winter i prefer my remote starter than the anty theft system. Its too cold to sit and wait for the car to warm up :-))

Reply to
Lionel De Nobile

I had a new transmission put in my 96 grandam and not soon after, the theft system light came on. When I took it to a mechanic he told me that you need to wait for your light to stop blinking and then re-start the car. DO NOT TAKE IT OUT OF THE ON POSITION!!!!! The problem is it can take anywhere from 20 to 30 minutes for the system to reset itself. So you just need to wait. According to my guy, you cannot disconnect this system and only the dealer can reset it. At times now my car completely shuts itself down for days. I need to take it to my dealer but am afraid of being ripped off!!!!!GOOD LUCK!!! If you have any suggestions for me, please let me know.

Reply to
whywayne88

Unrelated.

Then it's broken.

"Reset" what? He doesn't understand GM.

This is a resistor key right? There are eleven or so different resistor values, and every car knows which one they are supposed to have. The PCM recieives the info from the ignition lock cylinder assembly via two very small wires that are in the steering column......that fray and short and break.

You probably need a new lock cyl assy which comes with the wires. Then you need a new key made to match the resistor of your old key and to turn the new lock cyl. Any competent repair shop and locksmith can handle this.

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

if you can start the car with the key but not the remote starter, it's because when you installed the car starter, you never installed the Passlock device used in combination to disable the anti theft before starting your vehicle, thats why they exist. you dont disable the key system method, thats integrated into the computer of the vehicle, this passlock system has the ability to learn the key code and use it later on, ex. in an attempt to start the vehicle without the key (remote starter)

look up >

Reply to
tracker