Luxury car buyers: how will you explain it to your Creator?

Nope.

Nope.

Nope.

Nope.

Well, your mom's bed sometimes gets wet when I ... no, no, that's not a Christian thing to say.

Reply to
M_P

Why would *I* provide reason to believe *your* speculation? That's your job.

The Creator you were so confidently answering in your last post.

Reply to
M_P

You know something guys and gals, I will be the first to admit it...

This troll ventured in here, spawned some BS nonsense to get a rise out of us and each and every one of us bit the bait.

Congrats to the troll for getting what they wanted.

Reply to
adventuremyk

I ask a question of particular relevance to readers of these groups, and reply point-by-point to all responses including yours ... and rather than respond substantively you label my original post "some BS nonsense" and me a "troll." Nothing in the usual meaning of "troll"

) fits mybehavior ... but this fits yours: "The term is often used to discreditan opposing position, or its proponent, by argument fallacy adhominem."

Reply to
M_P

Heh, at least it generated some activity in the group. :-)

If I believed in Hell (I don't - I find the idea of God's personal torture chamber offensive), owning a Ferrari would be a nice way to get there. But that's not really a 'luxury' car, is it? It's a sports car. Oh well, a Bentley would be as nice. ;-) Truly, what sort of 'creator' is going to hold my success against me?

Though I admit to some confusion on the relationship of owning a nice car vs. helping the unfortunate. You're not allowed to do both? Maybe we need to define 'luxury' - is there a spending cap? And who determines what the cutoff would be before the holier-than-thou stop looking down their nose?

Cadillac = burn in hell Yugo = angels sing Mercedes = tortured for eternity Hyundai = right hand of god

Seems a bit of a silly argument to me...

MH

adventuremyk wrote:

Reply to
MH

Of course you are a troll... Wiki or no Wiki.

What you did is spew your religious beliefs to a bunch of people who simply don't agree with you. You are a troll because there is *no* RELIGION in the group names!

Reply to
PeterD

Well, that you did.

Which I suspect you'll find that many do.

Before or after?

Car stops running.

True and you don't even have to die for this result.

Immediate high amputation recommended...

Hummer H1: Hey you're driving the Jesus car!

Reply to
PeterD

Speak for yourself. Joe Gliebe implicitly accepted my assumptions of a Creator and judgment in responding, "He will say [...] What will you tell him?", and Jim Insolo asked only whether I had made choices for which I would also be subject to the Creator's judgment.

So discussing a luxury-car sales tax hike in these groups would be trolling because there's no politics in the group names? Your narrow definition of what's on-topic is open to question, to say the least.

Reply to
M_P

It's not your success that's in question, but your use of its fruits.

Every dollar spent on a car is a dollar unavailable for helping the unfortunate.

The Creator does ... look to Him and His Word for guidance.

Red herring. It's not *my* opinion you need to worry about.

It's an argument entirely of your own construction.

Reply to
M_P

I thought I could squeak past the Pearly Gates by donating the Jag to charity upon my demise. Now I find out its no longer made in England, but in India by a bunch of Hindus!! He's really going to be mad about that. My only hope is that the gates of the netherworld are going to be so jammed up with TV preachers and self righteous hypocrites that they will have no choice but to give me a golden harp. ( Or a wooden one, if the same concern exists up there over luxury items)

Reply to
rajiv

Every dollar spent on a car is a dollar unavailable for helping the unfortunate.

but you ignore the benefit that my driving a gleaming Porsche 911 cabrio has on the less fortunate, namely it gives the blighters something to aspire to. a reason to get out of bed at 06:00 on a dreary, gray, rainy morning and head off to work along with untold millions here in Europe. a reason to learn to live within ones means and put aside a bit for whatever you want later, not today, later. a reason to educate themselves on depreciation of automobiles and how buying a good used automobile can be a far better investment than a new automobile.

and you assume that a Euro given to Porsche is somehow sucked into a black-hole and ceases to exist. that is faulty reasoning. the Euro given to Porsche, or Guinness, goes on to create more Euros. time to get out those economics books.

Reply to
Low Life #3

Believe me, I in no way worry or even care about what you think.

However, based on your arguments, you seem to believe that you have a better understanding of what 'the creator's' opinion is than everyone else in this group. Or given my prior experience with zealots, better than anyone else, period.

I gave up religion because of people exactly like you. All you've done here is reinforce that decision.

MH

M_P wrote:

Reply to
MH

Not much of a sacrifice at that point.

What makes you think so? God loves Hindus.

Only a metaphor for the splendor of Heaven.

LOL!

Reply to
M_P

I knowed it all along- Ol' God loves us rednecks. He ain't never sent no dipstick over to the rusty truck forum acuusin' us of bein selfish & stuff. You furrin car lovers is jus gettin yur comeuppance. I'm a gonna call my cuzzin and tell her to bring our kids over and invite MP to read from the good book and have some downhome cookin.

Reply to
Billybob

ROTFLMAO !

Way to go Rajiv.

For such humorous, witty, tongue-in-cheek fun to be posted at all here is great after all the absolute nonsense in this thread.

For it to be posted by someone who's mother tongue is not necessarily English, and who may very well be an Indian Hindu as well, is very refreshing.

I'm still laughing; you have made my day.

Reply to
Happy Trails

You go ahead and try to sell that to your Creator.

Investment in productive capacity creates more euros. What does a Porsche produce? (I know what a Guinness produces, and it doesn't count.)

Reply to
M_P

Fun thought: If luxry is evil, why does the Pope drive around in the most expensive vehicles, and the previous pope used to ride in the back of a Ferrari Mondial? In fact, why is it that the church would have you tithe all your extra money and tell you that you need nothing but the barest of essentials while the church rakes in millions? When someone can figure out why some idiot would pay $50,000+ to kiss the multi-million dollar rings upon the Popes hands and actually think this moron is close to saint hood I'll be surprised.

Religion is nothing more than an international for-profit business and it ought to be taxed as one. It uses fear of the unknown the same way politicians are currently using fear to take away rights and extort further taxes.

As for your 'creator', there are what? 180+ Gods out there that are worshipped, not counting the variety of spirits and such. When you figure out why you dismiss all those other 'creators' then you can see why I dismiss yours.

Reply to
adventuremyk

Well said... Somewhat "my god can whip your god..."

Reply to
PeterD

As I said: "Red herring. It's not *my* opinion you need to worry about."

Sorry, I'm a round peg that doesn't fit your square-hole stereotype; I'm entirely open to hearing about logical or factual flaws in what I say ... but most of what I've heard in these groups is just ad hominems like those you posted below.

So if most particle physicists were personally objectionable, you'd disbelieve in quarks? Pretty shaky logic there.

Reply to
M_P

Straw man. Who said anything about "religion"? I asked about the Creator, not any human institution that claims to speak and act in His name.

So your position is that my question was on par with asking what Santa Claus would think about your car purchase ... but I don't think you'd have spent nearly as much time arguing about that question.

Reply to
M_P