74.4 MPG, love the Prius Fall

A narcissistic troll, to boot. "Mirror, mirror, on the wall..." says the troll.

Reply to
News

...self-absorbed Facebook and FourSquare candidate.

Tell everyone how "regular" you are, as it happens, but that it doesn't smell.

Reply to
News

I believe changes that help me achieve this improvement are:

1) increasing the tire pressure from 44 psi front/42 psi rear to 50 psi front/48 psi rear 2) the focused on using the Driving With Load (DWL) hypermiling technique.......

Last week I drove 60 miles and back. Weather service said the wind was 35 mph gusting to 45 mph. Perfect tailwind going, perfect headwind returning. Speed limit was 55, I had my cruise locked on 57 both ways. Going, I would have flat-lined at roughly 78 mph were it not for a couple of 100 mpg minutes as I passed through two towns. On the way back, I would have flat-lined at 48 mpg where it not for a couple of 55 mpg bumps when going through those small towns.

Given a constant speed, nothing effects mileage more than wind. The Prius design is such that the positive impact of a tailwind is much greater than the negative impact of a headwind of the same velocity. Because there is almost always some wind, it becomes impossible to accurately measure the subtle effect of a change in tire pressure but knowing one's wind-speed can dramatically improve performance when hypermiling.

Reply to
Al Falfa