Manual key? Jump starts?

I was just reading a saga elsewhere, and the person had to get into his dead Prius using a manual key. I didn't get a manual key and am wondering whether I should have. It would make sense, but then I also am unaware of any key holes. So, if there is no manual key, how do you get into your car if it is totally dead--or your key's battery is dead (and the other key is elsewhere)?

Sort-of relatedly, I would guess that if one has a battery problem, it might make more sense to call Toyota and not AAA, since Toyota should know how to deal with this. Right?

Reply to
Jean B.

The manual key is inside the fob; it has a small ring attached to it. There are instructions in the users manual on how to remove it from the fob.

The keyhole is on the driver's door, just aft of the black button (if you have Smart Entry), or just aft of the door handle (if you don't have smart entry).

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

Oh good. It must be tiny, since I didn't notice it.

Ditto on the handle. Yes, I do have smart entry, which is pretty cool--esp. that you don't even have to touch the button! (That has actually screwed me up a couple of times, when I have then pressed the button, not realizing the car has alreadty unlocked! :-) )

Reply to
Jean B.

Jean,

Study those two electronic door openers they gave you. There is a metal key cleverly stored inside of each to be used if the battery in the electronic unit fails (or if the car is dead).

Reply to
Ingenuous

Jean, the black button is used to lock the car, not unlock it. Get out, press that button, listen for the confirmation beep and walk away. No need to take out the fob and use the button thereon.

Reply to
Ingenuous

It is rather small.

The button is for locking the car. To unlock it, you have to grab the handle; there is a double beep when the door unlocks, and you then pull on the handle. Quite often, all you have to do is grab and pull in one motion, but sometimes there has to be a short pause--like a quarter of a second or so.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

??? It sure unlocks it--and the salesman pointed that out as one of its virtues. It does both! (Or mine does; I think they can be configured in various ways.) I agree re the key--which is part of why I gather I have not examined it well enough. I get as far as groping for it and then remember I don't need to get it out--unless I want to let my daughter in a teeny bit more quickly. (I gather that function can be altered too...)

Reply to
Jean B.

Ah! And here I thought the BUTTON was for both. Mea culpa--or something related.... No wonder the car is confused.

Reply to
Jean B.

Nope; the black button locks the car, and does not unlock it. Further, when you lock the car with the black button, unlocking with smart entry is blocked for three seconds. This is because many people like to pull on the door handle to make sure the car is locked. Without the delay, when you tested, it would unlock.

Yes. On page 30 of the manual. There are three options.

  1. Unlocking the driver's door unlocks only that door. Unlocking the passenger door or the rear hatch unlocks everything. This how it is set at the factory.
  2. Unlocking any door unlocks all the doors.
  3. Unlocking the passenger door unlocks all the doors. Unlocking the driver's door or the rear hatch unlocks only that door (or hatch).
Reply to
Michelle Steiner

Of course, you folks are absolutely right, and I feel like a cretin! No wonder the car seemed confused. It was ME!

And the lock is quite visible. Strange how in my mind, I thought it was not even there--maybe because one doesn't have to use it--or maybe it was a dream.

My latest discovery is that the headlights are REALLY good, I think even better than the Xenon ones on my Passat. I was worried about this, because I need good illumination on the passenger side of the road.

Reply to
Jean B.

Don't feel bad Jean. I had a very similar experience with that black button. I believe I pressed it every time I unlocked the car for the first few days.

I was at a wedding reception a while back and went outside for some fresh air. It was dark and there were several small kids playing near my Prius. I walked over to the Prius and when I was about 3' away the interior lights came on. I backed up a bit and they went out. Then I raised my hands over my head, waved them slowly and chanted an incantation as I approached it. The kids were awed by my magical abilities and spent the next few minutes trying repeat the magic.

Reply to
Ingenuous

Thanks! Now I at least don't think I am alone in this. In retrospect, though...

That experience must have been so funny!!!

Reply to
Jean B.