TRUCK RECALL?!?!?!?

Surely it has to be something worse than just a few badly-made U-joints, though?

I had a Chrysler Laser that constantly ate C-V joints... they'd go with no warning, sometimes after only 30,000 miles (and that's with the original MOPAR part, not a chain store rebuild). I got very good at swapping them out. Chrysler never recalled anything.... then again, that car also cracked transmission cases with frightening regularity too...

--Scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I guess it depends whether there is a perceived chance of catastrophic failure causing a safety problem. It sounds like there have been no reports of owners having any problems. The news reports said that the same problem exists for parts that Dana made for Nissan and Ford. Those two companies said they don't see a problem worthy of recall.

-jim

Reply to
jim

so are we talking about some rusty frame part, or are we talking driveshaft??? the materials use in manufacture are not the same in both.

Reply to
jim beam

frod has gotten away without recalls of stuff that's killed hundreds of people. toyota do it voluntarily on a threshold 100x less.

Reply to
jim beam

Can't speak for "we". I only know what i was talking about. Did you know what you were talking about when you said "there's nothing special about ductile iron that would necessitate a proprietary japanese pour for a usa casting." ?

Reply to
jim

but you're confusing frames with driveshafts. different materials.

actually, i know quite a bit about steel production and processing. someone would need a real special reason to import ingot from japan. commodity "ductile iron" ain't it.

Reply to
jim beam

OK, so let's say Ford is horrible. Does this excuse Toyota for being worse? For years some people have been sold the idea that Toyotas had exceptional quality. I never believed it (but I don't think Toyotas are particularly bad either). Now, when it has become apparent that Toyota has problems just like every other manufacturer, some people try to defend Toyota by pointing out that other manufacturers have had recalls also. So what? How this make Toyota look good? Throwing mud at Ford or GM isn't going to fix one Toyota. Pretending that Toyota doesn't have problems is encouraging Toyota executives to continue there past deceitful practices.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

"I think I heard they're recalling Toyota trucks because the front propellor shaft can separate (probably at the U-joint...)"

It doesn't sound like you know much about steel. You definitely don't know much about cast irons either. Ductile iron is not a commodity it is material that is produced as a result of the casting process.

-jim

Reply to
jim

then you're not reading the thread!

see above.

whoa. wow. evidently you simply don't know what you don't know. but we already know you've not read this thread or you'd have bothered with the cites i gave earlier.

Reply to
jim beam

Or maybe you are hallucinating.

see above

How does that make the foolish statement I was responding to any less foolish?

Reply to
jim

it doesn't make your statement less foolish dude. "ductile iron" is very much a commodity. you'd know that if you knew about iron/steel.

Reply to
jim beam

Because only the Toyota frames were built to Toyota's specifications. Which were obviously inadequate.

The Tundra is deader than 1980's thanksgiving turkey. Stick a fork in it.

Reply to
Steve

In your fantasy world that may be, but not in the real world.

Reply to
jim