1988 saab 900 turbo

Like an idiot while taking the battery I touched the side of the car. There was a pow and a flash. Now the car wont start. I hear it trying but it's not turning over. I checked the fuses all fine, all relays fine, computer fine. What should I check next?

Reply to
etovxoddam

I just checked the batterty is pulliing 1ahms

Reply to
ggobs

My guess is you burned out a connection inside the battery, probably just need to replace the battery and things will be fine.

Reply to
James Sweet

What voltage do you get when you measure across the battery terminals? If you gave it a direct short, you could destroyed one of more of the plates that form the cells. I think the term 'collapsed cell' is what's used to describe it.

If you get less than 12 volts, the battery could have been damaged and it'd be wise to take it out of the car and connect it to a stand-alone charger if you have one to see what happens. If the charger can't supply enough current, the battery probably has an internal short. If the voltage is not too far below 12 (say anything over 11), it could just be badly drained of charge from the short against the chassis.

One thing to *always* keep in mind is that if you're going to remove the battery or do any electrical work on the car, to remove the ground connection first. That way, if you accidentally touch the positive wire to the chassis, there's no path for current to flow unless you touch the negative terminal. Some people recommend removing the positive connection, but then all it takes is a dropped spanner or screwdriver to touch the positive terminal against some other metal item and you've got a short circuit. 8-)

Regards,

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site