9000 Smoke Problem

I bought a 1998 Anniversary 9000 2.3 Turbo automatic (96,000 miles) from a local Saab dealer last week to replace my '94 9000 CSE Eco. The same garage supplied it originally and has serviced it since. It was in immaculate condition and drove very well. The garage had to replace a headlight wiper motor so I went to collect the car on Saturday. They had already replaced a solenoid on the turbo as well as the water pump (it had been over-boosting apparently). It had a new DI cartridge last year I believe.

As I drove away I was aware of "mist" behind me. After a couple of miles my friend (who had taken me to collect the car and was driving behind me) waved me down. There was a LOT of white smoke coming from underneath. I called the garage and they asked me to bring it straight back. They will get the workshop to look at it on Tuesday - and will pick up the cost so that's fine.

On the return trip I swapped cars and drove behind mine so that I could see the problem. The smoke seems to be being blown directly down from the engine pretty much in the centre - about where the turbo is I should think. There IS quite a lot of continuous smoke but it is worse on acceleration. When idling and when the car is revved but parked there is a little but not much. The exhaust seems clean.

I looked online to see what it might be (I know it's the garage's problem but I am interested) - does a blown head gasket sound likely or could it be something else?

If they have to take the engine out should I take the opportunity to ask them to replace anything else at the same time - I've seen mention of timing chains, plastic? guides, tensioner, sprockets.

Any thoughts or suggestions will be gratefully received.

Thanks for reading.

Reply to
Piers

A really lovely model - sorry to hear its got a bug.

My take is that you are leaking coolant somewhere when the thermostat opens up - which could be anything from rad to hoses to turbo, pump, head or thermostat gaskets. Get it good and hot on an overcast day - pull it over and pop the hood. Have a pal stand around opposite to you with a good flashlight and see if you can spot a vapor trail. If it was the head gasket or the turbo - it would normally come out of the exhaust - but check around to be sure.

If you have to pull the engine - yes by all means do all the service if you intend to keep the machine - however you want to really confirm that it is internal to the engine before you proceed.

Reply to
Dexter J

If this car is bought (in the ?) UK from an authorised SAAB dealer you should simply take it back and have it fixed. It should not be something you would have to pay for.

If it looses coolant make sure it does NOT overheat whilst you are trying to work out the problem.

Regards Charles

Reply to
Charles Christacopoulos

Thank you for the advice.

I got the car back this afternoon and according to the garage the smoke was caused by a leaking (automatic)transmission oil pipe. It's all fixed now, topped up, running great and smoke free!

Now all I have to do is be careful not to wear out too many sets of tyres this week...

Piers

Reply to
Piers