95 Engine Blown

I purchased a SAAB 95 becuase everyone told me that they would run forever

89000 miles big end goes and it has so far cost me over £2000 EVERONE tells me that this is unheard of ........ has anyone else had problems with 95?

also why does the fan run so much ???

Reply to
Richard Martin

Nothing runs forever.

Not unheard of in cases of severe oil starvation.

Oil starvation causing overheating?

If you want any meaningful answers, you really need to give a lot more info about your car (year, engine etc) and about how your problem came about and was diagnosed.

Reply to
Grunff

Do you mean a 95, or a 9-5?

Unheard of, yes, on both the 95 and the 9-5. Which engine is this? What is the service history?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Depends on what "forever" means. If you mean 300,000 to 400,000 miles with regular maintenance - yes it will run "forever". You can kill any car in under 30,000 miles if you chose to do no maintenance at all.

Reply to
ma_twain

in article bkki7u$2qo06$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-134476.news.uni-berlin.de, Dave Hinz at snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote on 21/09/2003 17:05:

Or a '95?

:P

Reply to
Paul Halliday

Well maybe not forever but 300000 km is possible. Only balance shaft = bearings and distribution gear may be a problem, and the rust of course, = but that is likely in a car that is 25 years out of production.

no, nothing I could not cure.

Because it is attached to the balance shaft pulley with a fan belt ... = ???

------------------------------------------- MH '72 97 '77 96 '78 95 '79 96

MH

What?? Ok, I admit that my experience of the 9^5 is limited, so tell me, how exactly does that work with a transversely mounted engine?

Reply to
Grunff

A transverse V4 (or two stroke)? I would like to see that, other than = in a 92 or The Monster.

I have a faint suspicion that the OP is asking about a Saab 9-5, not a = SAAB 95......

( We'll educate him ;-) )

------------------------------------------- MH '72 97 '77 96 '78 95 '79 96

MH

[...]

Me too, but which engine? I4 or V6? Petrol or diesel?

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

or The Monster.

Ok, ok, I get it. I did say 9^5...

I thought he meant a 1995 car.

Reply to
Grunff

The engine in the Saab 95 is longitudinally mounted. Here is a picture showing the engine and fan: <

Btw, once upon a time there was a Peugeot with a transversely mounted engine that used a belt and a plurality of pulleys to spin a fan mounted behind the front mounted radiator.

Reply to
Goran Larsson

Yeah I know, I know - I thought we were talking about a 9^5.

Reply to
Grunff

That engine has the post 1977 intake manifold (for a two stage Solex = carb) but the right side valve cover is pre 1977 (with PCV tube), also = older type oil filler cap (should be a plastic one with PCV air inlet).

The bull nose two stroke 95 and 96 had the radiator behind the engine = and an "overhead fan shaft" to drive the fan from the crankshaft pulley = on the front.

------------------------------------------- MH '72 97 '77 96 '78 95 '79 96

MH

Yes, noticed and conveniently snipped...

Did SAAB make cars in 1995 ?

( ;-) not really expecting a serious answer)

------------------------------------------- MH '72 97 '77 96 '78 95 '79 96

MH

in article bkkvof$2r6q0$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-152899.news.uni-berlin.de, Grunff at snipped-for-privacy@ixxa.com wrote on 21/09/2003 20:55:

.... a 9^5, a 9-5 or a '95? I thought the OP has blown 95 engines :)

What? We've done every other combination ...

Paul

Reply to
Paul Halliday

Or the OP is 95, confused, and talking about a ford.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Maybe it's a Windows 95 question?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

in article snipped-for-privacy@news.cis.dfn.de, MeatballTurbo at snipped-for-privacy@bouncing-czechs.com wrote on 22/09/2003 08:54:

A ford, or a Ford?

:)

Reply to
Paul Halliday

Or a Ford A? Those cars were quite popular in Denmark right up in the

1950's as money were tight. Whenever I see a modern Ford, I can't get the picture of this nasty old jalopy out of my mind. spllluuuutttt.
Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

But so was I ! talking about a Ford V4 in a SAAB 95 - and look, now you've got me = confused too.

Is'nt anyone going to answer the poor OP ? =20

MH