Renault 19 exhaust probs

Went tofind the source of the blowing noise to see if it could be patched up and found after a lot of poking around that it has two large holes, one in the back section about half a centimeter from the scilencer and antother in the center section about two inches long with the exhaust being about 2 inches away from the side of the diesel tank.

Now I have no interest in fixing these with replacement parts as it will be scrapped by April at the latest, just after a quick idea.

Not going to be able to fix either till next weekend so will the hole next to the diesel tank be a fire hazard?? maybe I should do yhi one evening but will be pretty difficult/dangerous going under the car in the dark. I'm thinking wrap a bean can or coke can round the exhaust, clamp it and finally use some exhaust sealent.

Anybody got any ideas how to tackle the one at the silencer, this isn't so near the tankso should be ok if left but would rather seal it if possible.

I wouldn't normally botch it like this but as I'm looking for the next car already and this one WILL be scrapped it seems a falicy to buy new parts. The list of faults is slowly increasing and was above the value of the car already before this.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Anderson

Also sprach "Tim Anderson" :-

Other way round. Clean the surface with a wire brush, paint thickly with exhaust paste then wrap the tin over it and clamp up with "Jubilee" type straps. I've had bodges like that last for 20,000 miles.

The one near the box will be harder, but the same trick should work.

Reply to
Guy King

Fantastic, thought it would work, never thought of doing it that way round cheers :-)

Cool, now when to do it, you reckon it is safe to leave for a week, about

150 miles? mind you I spose the holes have been there a while I just made them slightly bigger with my prodding.........

Tim

Reply to
Tim Anderson

Also sprach "Tim Anderson" :-

Personally - I wouldn't worry. Provided there's some fuel in the tank up to the level of where any hot gases are playing over the outside it'll just warm the fuel up a bit. Not a lot. Just a bit.

Reply to
Guy King

Jubilee clips!! Far too expensive. He want's a cheap fix. He could use fencing wire and save a fortune. (relatively) :-) Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

TBH, if the noise isn't excessive, then I wouldn't bother. There will be no fire hazard with the diesel tank, diesel tanks can be quite happily welded without emptying the fuel, or removing the fumes, so a little warmth from the exhaust will not bother it at all.

Reply to
SimonJ

It is louder but then again, it has never been a quiet car :-( having said that, it is a 9 year old diesel.

Thanks for the reassurance re the tank.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Anderson

I think I can just about stretch to a few jubilee clips :-), its about time I spent a bit of money on it.......

Reply to
Tim Anderson

Thanks for that Guy, pretty much as expected but thought I would check.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Anderson

Well, if expense is no object, Holts exhaust bandage is not bad stuff. A bit easier to apply than the bean tin solution. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

What kind of bandage is it, it's not like the thing I already tried is it where you get a sheet of tinfoil, a plasticy bandage and some wire to hold it altogether while it presumably melts and sets is it?

That went in the bin after 30 mins of fiddling :-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Anderson

Also sprach "Tim Anderson" :-

Crap, aren't they? Tin cans are far easier to handle and fit properly, and in my experience work a lot better, too.

Reply to
Guy King

A long time since I used it but if it's the same as I used, more water needed to be used than was made clear in the instructions, especially on the pipe before the bandage was used. Then rotating a wet hand on the bandage to wrap the tape tighter, to make it a snug fit on the pipe. I found it a surer method to get a gas tight seal than a bean tin and GunGum. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

That sounds like what I "thought" I was buying but the one I got was a sqaure of tin foil to wrap round the exhaust over the hole, a load of "tape" to wrap over that and some thin wire to tie it all on.

The tape was like a plasticy material so naff all chance of wrapping it tight and tying the wire round out the same time, it would be like using a George Forman rotisery and trying to tie the legs together with one hand behind your back!!

Tim

Reply to
Tim Anderson

Also sprach "Tim Anderson" :-

That made even less sense till I realised you didn't say George Formby.

Reply to
Guy King

:-) Sorry, maybe me putting the word chicken in the correct place would have been a good idea?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Anderson

Use something sturdy otherwise you run the risk of the whole pipe disintegrating when you do it.

Reply to
adder