Can anyone remember the tip for getting a C900 out of reverse when jammed.

I'm tempted by this one on Ebay as a second car.

Elder

Elder gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Not surprised. It looks decent.

Are you thinking of when they jump out of reverse? Simple process to remove the side panel of the 'box and slightly modify the selector.

Only reason it'd be stuck in is probably ignition lock related - either through the pin jamming the selector, or (more likely) numptiness.

Reply to
Adrian

ISTR that a couple of people in the last 10 years on here, had had it jammed in reverse and managed to get it out.

Can't remember if it was the switch or lift reverse jammed. I also recall something in the manual about removing the ignition switch in the manual that needed the centre console lifting and a pin drilling out.

I would love it to be a case of turning up, checking it runs OK, watching him smirk at me and see his face change after 10minutes of knowing the right trick popping it out of reverse and driving it away.

Reply to
Elder

Interesting...

Reply to
PeterD

eggsngrits had written this in response to

: All C900 have a reverse lock to comply with Federal anti-theft regulations. Most likely a malfunction of the ignition key lock. Can be a frustrating fix.

However.

Another thing that can jam the transmission in reverse is the dreaded and fairly common pinion bearing failure. When the pinion ring drops, the transmission may be rendered immobile.

A third, but less likely scenario, would have the motor mounts shot and the linkage completely out of alignment as a result. The typical problem there is that the transmission won't go into 1,3 or 5 (forward) rather than stuck in reverse.

forums..... Hope that this helps.

CommunityWeb and RSS access to yourfavorite newsgroup - alt.autos.saab - 17116 messages and counting!##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
eggsngrits

I neglected to say -- the ignition or linkage (likely caused by motor mount wear) problems are relatively easy fixes, but the pinion bearing is death for a C900. You have to remove the entire engine/transmission assembly (pricey!), and C900 transmissions are becoming rare (more pricey)!.

:

-------------------------------------

CommunityWeb and RSS access to yourfavorite newsgroup - alt.autos.saab - 17117 messages and counting!##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
eggsngrits

I had a D reg in ordoardo grey just like this! but check for drivers wishbone mount rust (mine had that) and gearbox noise - my pinion was clearly worn as it whined in 3rd/4th/5th as I could feel the slack/shunting in the diff, it didn't die though!

Reply to
john

My old B reg silver flat front had a good shift but would jump out of the lower 3 gears and was losing oil.

Wasn't until I was selling it I noticed that there was a spray pattern from the oil cooler and it had sprayed the left hand engine mount for years.

Wonder if it is possible give it some wiggle action and bounce it out of reverse. My old one wouldn't sometimes go into reverse unless I lifted the clutch slightly and it would drop in and out easier.

Reply to
Elder