Have Saab reintroduced hatchback yet?

johannes ( snipped-for-privacy@siz-2846553-efitter.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I never figured out why more manufacturers didn't use the Citroen XMs second inner rear window.

Open the hatch, easy loading, but there's a glass partition between the parcel shelf and the rear passenger's necks. Need that space? No problem, it hinges or removes easily.

Reply to
Adrian

Unfortunately estate cars are noisier than hatchbacks. All your 'litter' in the back is also on show.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Neither is true of the majority. Have you driven an estate in the last five years?

Reply to
DervMan

Oh that thing. I'd completely forgotten about it.

Because it makes no sense.

You appear to be saying that because Brand X sells more saloon cars then hatchbacks then so should Saab. The numbers on the road say otherwise. I very rarely see a 9000CD, but CS models are numerous. There must have been a reason for that unrelated to Ford or Rover.

You seriously think a potential Saab purchaser was really likely to be thinking of buying a Granny or a Rover 800 !!! ??? I don't see it myself. I'm astonised actually.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Pretty much before the 'new' 900 actually.

No. Just over 10 years.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I've had no occasion to. How did they get quieter ? There's a good reason they're noiser.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Eeyore ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

The Mk3 Granada, yes. Congratulations.

You really think that the people who choose new Saabs are somehow very different to the people who choose new Mercs/BMWs/Volvos/Lexuses/Alfas/ ?

Indeed. Big hatches are scarce, because nobody bought 'em new, so when they filter down the market, they don't get scrapped quite as readily. As I suggested several posts ago.

Not *now*, no, because you can't actually buy a Granada or Rover 800... But, yes, back in the late 80s - as the exec car market moved massively towards German "premium brand" saloons - yes, they were. Again - your reading skills are obviously lacking, so I'll remind you...

Reply to
Adrian

So you base your argument on what they used to be like?

The same way everything else is quieter. Improved design, materials and construction. If anything the improvement has been greater because they were noisier to start with.

Reply to
DervMan

DervMan ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

He probably had a Cortina estate once.

Reply to
Adrian

EXCUSE ME !

Why on earth would I ever want to commit to memory such an utter piece of trash ? Thank god, they're no longer around.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

AHEM ! If 'noboby' bought them new, then how come there are so many around ? Did Saab especially build second-hand ones maybe ?

I await your answer with fascination.

I presume logic isn't your strong point btw ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Eeyore ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

A relative "nobody", rather than an absolute one.

Reply to
Adrian

Let me explain something to you.

In 1988 I had the pleasure of getting a budget of £10k to buy a company car of my choice. I could have got a Rover 820e for that money. That wasn't the base model 800 either. There's no way £10k would have bought any new Saab at all.

You're comparing chalk and cheese.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

In the absense of an alternative ..... You would after all expect an estate to be noisier from first principles. Like the absence of an effective sound deadening barrier.

So, have 9-5 estates got any quieter since their introduction ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I most certainly did. 1966 1500 deluxe.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

You're an idiot.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

On the other hand it would be like me trying to service a gas boiler. Years ago I used a camping stove, it can't be much different.

Two points here. One is that improvement prevents the noise from getting into the boot. Two is that many estates have a load cover anyway, which may keep things quieter.

Reply to
DervMan

[...]

I once looked at the 'new' Granada when it came out in mid 80's. The hatchback style was then a departure, and thought to appeal to a younger and more trendy professional man. The Granada I looked at had an 1.8L 90 bhp engine, 4 gears and no power assisted steering. How things has changed...

Reply to
johannes

You're funny. You write, "noboby" and then claim Adrian is an idiot.

You are also unable to formulate any sort of argument that is remotely considered.

Reply to
DervMan

Eeyore ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

C190KWJ F469GET Same person, same job, same company.

Reply to
Adrian