Have Saab reintroduced hatchback yet?

Yes, you needed 15k then to buy a Saab 9000 in 1987. Hence I bought the poor man's 9000; a FIAT Croma CHT for around 10k. This car I had for 10 years. Then in 1997 I bought my current 1993 9000 CSE for 11k, still in mint condition.

Reply to
johannes

Oh really? Can you prove that?

Have a look at the (very old) road test on this web page.

DervMan

DervMan ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Or, indeed, Keith Adams' website,

- specifically the "Rivals" page. Oh, look. 9000.
I count six hatches and 12 saloons in the "rivals" list. Of those available as hatches, only three didn't have a saloon version - XM, R25 and Croma. Strange how none of those three set the sales charts alight.

Reply to
Adrian

Have you tried ? I have. It's not difficult. It's pretty basic engineering after all !

Really ?

How exactly. The road noise is still there. I dare say you can fit more sound deadening panels on the floor but hatches have that as well already.

The load cover is unlikely to be any more effective than a hatch's rear shelf and being bigger will let more sound through.

So, have 9-5 estates got any quieter since their introduction ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I have *never* looked at a Granny. It was an utter POS IMHO.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Perhaps you can explain why there are so many 9000CSs on UK roads if 'nobody' ever bought them ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Why would you feel the need for me to 'prove' that ?

I could have had a Golf GTi too (just barely from a local dealer).

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

A search for the words 'road' and 'test' reveals no links.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

[quote]

[/quote]
Reply to
DervMan

Is this another example of you claiming something, but not knowing if it's true either way?

Reply to
DervMan

It's entrapment, because I know you can't.

Reply to
DervMan

Oh, so you don't have any opinions of your own, you just recite other peoples' drivel.

That's one of the most blinkered spouts I've seen for a while. Chump.

You don't have a clue if it was any good or not... because you didn't bother investigating.

Reply to
DervMan

Are you being deliberately stupid, or just trying to prove a point to somebody else, somewhere else?

In this case you are wrong.

I don't know, I've not tried one in the last three years.

Of course, neither have you, but it appears this won't stop you from claiming something.

The early 9-5 estates weren't noticeably louder than the other 9-5 models at the back. They're not the quietest of machines either.

The Mondeo is just as quiet either way.

It's okay to admit that you just don't like estates, rather than invent reasons why they're not as good.

Reply to
DervMan

I'm in the same boat. My '94 9000 CSE is a great car, but after my experiences with GM/Saab concerning my '06 9^3 Aero burning a clutch under 7000 miles I traded it for a Volvo S60R. At this point unless GM/Saab changes a few things, I'm never buying another Saab. Which is sad since I'm been an exclusive drive of Saabs for 15+ years.

So they lost me and my wife, and any friends I can tell.

Reply to
Craig

[...]

Estates are usually build for heavier loads, why else would people buy an estate? That (generally) has a few consequences. Stiffer springs, harsher ride, lower gearing, more resonance from more panels. That means there are more to fix to get a nice car... But I admit to being ignorant..

Reply to
johannes

Has it never occurred to you that a bad or uninteresting car might not set the sales chart alight simply because it was a bad or uninteresting car ?

I test drove a Renault 25 as it happens but it was uninspiring and the armchair seating was rubbish.

I also test drove an Astra GTE and it was INSANE. The saleman from the garage looked somewhat stunned as we returned.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

My experience of other peoples' Grannies was enough. No need to prolong the torture.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Others may be able to get away with their glaring practicality issues, but, for me, they are utterly pointless.

For a saloon, maybe.

They're not hatchback problems though, they're 9-3 problems. No-one is saying the 9-3 is the best executed hatchback in the world, but it's still no-end more practical than any similarly-sized saloon. It's not overall luggage space that's the problem, it's accommodation for the occasional outsized item. I've owned saloons before, and even such simple things as buying a PC from a shop became a ridiculous palaver.

I can't recall the last time I had to move anything that didn't fit in the 9-3. Why on earth would I want to go to all the trouble and expense of trailers and tow balls, complete with the accompanying storage nightmare, just so I can have the "satisfaction" of driving a saloon instead of a hatchback?

They're not big problems, but added together they're annoying at the very best. I have to say there are some estates I wouldn't mind having, maybe a Volvo T5 something-or-other, but a hatchback T5 would be far more appropriate.

Yep. I didn't actually buy the Saab because of the badge. One big reason was that I could have 0-60 in less than 7 seconds with an engine under my 2.5L company fuel-card limit :o)

Bastards!

I bet they wouldn't be seen dead with a tow hitch.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

I try not to let it fester too much, but whatever car I have has to occasionally do the tip trip. For the number of times most people have to do it, a trailer is laughably unjustified when a hatchback will do the job just as well.

So get a hatchback then. You know you want to.

I have another car. It has two seats, absolutely no boot at-all and it's not road-legal yet. Having a hatchback for the family car allows me to have something interesting as a second car you see.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Never mind the issue of where you keep the trailer when you're not using it.

Surely a trailer in the drive (if you're lucky enough to have one ***) would mark you out as a 'pikey', the very thing that saloon car owners were allegedly trying to avoid.

Graham

*** some houses in my street here (St Albans) are now selling for £400,000 and only have on street parking with an average of less than one space available per household.
Reply to
Eeyore