Help! cannot start--

5 year old 9.5 SE auto saloon. Parked car outside garage 5.0pm yesterday after a 20 mile smooth run,with no sign of trouble. Tried to start 2 hours later,engine turned over briskly,but it would not fire.Tried repeatedly. Checked all the fuses I thought relevant,all OK. The only slightly out of ordinary thing I did during the last journey was to press the "Auto and "Off" ACC buttons in an attempt to get the "Auto" sign to re-appear.(Has not been showing for some weeks). Now stuck about 20 miles from nearest Saab dealer. Any help appreciated, before I start burning a hole in my bank balance.

justsid

Reply to
justsid

balance.

Reply to
justsid

Sounds like a Direct Ignition Cassette. Not a difficult repair ( assuming that is the problem). Make certain that the new cassette has been oriented with the spark plug terminals pointing downwards ( as if it were installed on the vehicle), for app. 1/2 hour before starting the car. This is to prevent potential damage to the new cassette.

BL

Reply to
BL

Recently had a similar experience with my 1995 2.3 LPT 9000 CSE.

Mine occurred after a fuel stop - no warning, just failed to ignite. At the time, opinions here (a.a.s) were:

1) fuel pump fuse 2) DI box (but opinion seemed to be that you'd have been warned some time in advance, then) 3) Fuel pump.

Turned out to be the fuel pump. Took me a couple of hours (including getting a new pump unit from the local dealer, checking the web for procedures (the

9K's pump is embedded in the fuel tank, and required considerable force to come off) - all taking place at the gas station where it gave up... A hammer and not-too-sharp screwdriver / mallet is invaluable. Feels a little strange hammering away at a device embedded in 60 liters of gas, though.... Had the extinguisher withing reach at all times.

Not complicated, just hard :) (and you'll smell of gas for a day or two).

A colleague (non-SAAB) reported having once listened to the very obvious sound of a fuel pump increasing in revs when decelerating, as he was running 'on vapours'. Probably doesn't increase pump life :)

regards Per

Reply to
Per Laursen

Thanks guys! BL.. I assume that the "direct ignition cassette" is what the Saab service manager was talking about when he advised me to undo the 4 screws on the plate marked "direct ignition" and to get it to him for checking. I have unscrewed the plate and lifted it up,and saw the 4 rubber tubes hanging down,presumably they make just surface contact with the screw head of the spark plug.So far have not disconnected the wiring. Could you elaborate on:- "Make certain that the new cassette has been oriented with the spark plug terminals pointing downwards (as if it were installed on the vehicle), for app. 1/2 hour before starting the car" . Not too clear on this point.

------------------- Per.. Pump fuse OK, and there is a smell of petrol when the engine turns, so pump seems to be working. again not understanding "DI box (but opinion seemed to be that you'd have been warned some time in advance)" What is the DI box?, anyway no prior warnings on anything.

More thanks, as you can tell I am not very up on modern day mechanics,but more help appreciated.

justsid

Reply to
justsid

There is a simple way of DIY testing the DI. Take it out and mount some spark plugs in it. Then position it so the spark plug threads rest in contact with neutral ground e.g. top of engine. Get someone to crank the engine and watch for sparks.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

There is thick oil in the units. You want it to drain down to the bottom before starting. (Or so I'm told :-) So, just position it in the "normal" position before installation for 30 minutes.

If you are in the USA and need to buy one, I'd recommend eeuroparts.com (note the two "ee's" in that name. Typical price is under $250 shipped vs. the dealer at $400.

If the DI went bad, you should have had some rough running for a few days before. They rarely go with no warning at all.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

OK! Bob. I had no warning, and having taken out the DIC I can tell you it's as clean as the proverbial whistle. The Saab service manager said bring it along to be tested,but I wonder if it's necessary ? There will be a charge knowing them from old. Bit of a brainer for me as the nearest dealer is about 20 miles away, and the one I favour is over 50 miles.Decision time looms. Just dashed out and bought an old Honda Prelude just to have some wheels,bus service in this neck of the woods( Devon UK) is pitiful.

justsid

Reply to
justsid

Do the test that the other posters mentioned check for spark and fuel. There are some safety precautions you need to take with either approach - ask first if you don't know.

Reply to
-Bob-