Lifetime of Saab

A good choice. I've always liked certain Saab features, specifically the dashboard and interior comfort.

Reply to
DervMan

yea, except the part where you have to spend 4 hours changing a light bulb in the dash... I like them too.

Reply to
- Bob -

Welcome to modern cars heh.

Reply to
DervMan

What Japanese engine? Do you mean the Australian V6?

Reply to
Richard Sutherland-Smith

Nah, I think he is refering to the Scooby Dooby Impreza 9-2 Jap flat turbo and NA engine with 4wd (or AWD as they love to call it).

Reply to
Elder

Oh no, to change the dash lights in a Saab 900 (old fashioned one) you need to be a gynacologist.

The quickest method is to open the window, then remove the drivers speaker cover, stand outside the car, reach in through the window, down the speaker hole while looking in through the windscreen, and locate the quarter turn bulb holder that has blown.

Or the proper method which is to start by taking out the ash tray, then the lower center console, then the knee bolster than runs the length of the car, then it gets complicated. And they made them that way since

1979.
Reply to
Elder

in article snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net, Elder at snipped-for-privacy@bouncing-czechs.com wrote on 27/11/2006 16:33:

Well, you can just remove the dash fascia and reach over the top of the main gauges, but yes, a lot of things are a lot easier with the speaker grilles removed. How long did I prod into the dark trying to fix my heater control arm back onto that little noggin buried deep inside the dash? Speaker grille out ... 5 seconds :o

... Or just remove the dash fascia :)

Goatsdance, eh? Now there's a name from the past. 'River of No Return' ... What a song! I like the way they put oddball phrases on the spiral scratch run out, like the Sisters of Mercy did :)

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

The NG900's eliminated that option. It takes 3+ hours to get the instrument cluster in and out for any works (including a bulb change).

Reply to
- Bob -

I thought you had to pull the whole dash to get the instruments out?

Reply to
Elder

in article snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net, Elder at snipped-for-privacy@bouncing-czechs.com wrote on 04/12/2006 17:44:

Maybe we're talking about the same thing here. Last time I had my instruments out (there a double-entendre in there for someone :) ), I removed the dash fascia by pulling the four long screws and unplugging/unclipping all the bits behind. Next, without removing the steering wheel (although it is a lot easier with the steering wheel removed, but the instrument panel does come out), I removed the two (or was it four?) screws holding the instrument panel and at that point, I could reach over and fiddle with the bulbs. In my case, I removed the speaker grille and unclipped the speedo cable because I wanted the instruments out to replace the plastic circuit board.

No need to remove the knee bolster or any of the procedure for the lower dash up to that point - just the dash fascia.

Once you've done that job once, you'll have placed stickers all over everything behind the dash fascia and made up a key sheet with diagrams which you keep in the car. I can be in and out in about 15 minutes now if I need to get at something behind the fascia.

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday