Need Advice with washer fluid tank 1992 9000

Noticed a pool of water under my car and discovered it was my washer fluid. At first I suspected the anti-siphon valve but after installing a new one, the fluid kept leaking. I was able to disconnect the tank on top, (bolts and harness) and then after a little swearing, I was was able to "find" and remove the 2 nuts on those two 4 inch standoff s attached to the tank. It sure pays to have small hands. Once I got the tank loose I could see the source of the trouble. One of those standoffs was damaged where it mates to the tank. It was obviously done at the factory because I bought this car new and I certainly didnt do it. Who ever broke it, smeared the bracket and tank with sme kind of putty "goop' and it has since separated from the plastic and metal. It cant be fixed in the car because it would be too difficult to clean all the corrosion in such a tight space. If I can get it down, I can clean it properly and I think silicone might do the trick. The question is how to get these stupid things out after the bolts are removed. Jammed out against the fender, I am still about an inch short of space to clear those standoffs. Am I going to have to remove the front valence and maybe pull out on my fender???? God Bless Saab Engineering"!!

Reply to
Hatchback

Has someone other than you ever replaced the washer pump? Could it have happened then?

Reply to
Jack F

Reply to
Hatchback

It's actually quite easy, I can now do this job from start to finish in about an hour! :)

Once you have the nuts off the lower standoffs, (the hardest ones), you should be able to remove the tank quite easily. Can't see what your problem might be. Yes it's a bit of a squeeze but not that hard.

I have repaired both of mine with epoxy resin. What seems to happen is that the constant flexing causes stress around the rear most pillar and a crack starts to form in the plastic from the standoff and works its way outwards.

I reckon I can repair this in the car but yes it's easier if you have it on the bench.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor