The 'jabberwocky' returns from the smash repairer!

I picked up my red 89 16V c900 back from the smash repairer on Wednesday after A$4300 worth of insurnance-covered (except for the excess) repair work! Major parts replaced were the A-pillar (not sure if that's new but I think it is), driver's side door (good used), driver's side front guard (brand new!), bonnet/hood (good used), and sundry small parts.

The repairs appear to be very good quality, and the paint job on the replacement parts and associated areas is excellent. Now I need to give the rest of the car a full polish/wax to get it up to the same standard as the repaired areas!

The only thing I need to solve is a slight fit problem for the replacement bonnet/hood and get a replacement door inner (none were available from wreckers or from Saab as a new part so we agreed to keep the old one which has a little chunk of the foam knocked out!), but otherwise it's as good as new.

Pictures of the car in it's repaired for are located at:

I've got some replacement foglight brackets coming soon too and then I'll put the foglights back on the car and attempt to figure out why they didn't work the first time I had them fitted even though I used a relay and fuse in the 'prescribed' locations and put a switch on the socket I found floating in the dash wiring which had the correct wiring... That still puzzles me.

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site

Your insurance paid for A$4300 of repair!? According to

a 1989 turbo hatchback c900 is only worth about US$2500-2800 in perfect, like-new condition. Insurance companies in the US would have just junked it and written you a check for $2500. (Or less, since it probably wasn't in like-new condition before the crash.) How did you convince them to invest A$4300 in it??

Reply to
Gary Fritz

car looks good. I can't even see any weld marks where the doors were welded shut. I also find it amazing that your insurance forked out that much for repairs. but i also find it amazing some of the horror stories about what happened to people after hurricane katrina in regards to insurance claims.

rod

Reply to
Rod H

Wednesday

standard as

replacement

| For Saab 99/C900/9000 Enthusiasts

| Web-forums, galleries, library, links,

happened to

Good news story Craig. FWIW Rod and Gary, new and used car prices over here are totally diferent from in the US. Craig's 89 is probably worth $A4.5-6K depending on the insurer, with some prepared to inspect individual vehicles and cover for a higher amount (usually for a higher premium of course. Similar vehicle is probably worth half that in US dollars and a few hundred quid in the UK. It's mostly a supply and demand issue because we're miles from nearly anywhere else, but bear in mind also that not much of Australia has winter road salting, really corrosive coastal salt spray, or heavy industrial fallout, so car bodies tend to get an easier life than in many other countries. Cheers

Reply to
hippo

yes that does make sense. I imagine new car prices down there are almost like buying a house.

rod

Reply to
Rod H

It's insured for an 'agreed value' of A$5500. NRMA Insurance would not insure it for an agreed value of, from what I recall at the time I was getting quotes, less than A$5450, so I just rounded it up to the nearest $100 point. 8-)

NRMA is notorious for refusing to write cars off when the cost of repairs is as close as $50 off the insured value. No doubt this is the 'hidden' part of an 'agreed' value policy since even though 'on road' it's worth less, the company won't pay out as a write-off since the agreed value is often higher than the cost to repair.

It's the first time I've ever needed accident repair done under insurance and I was surprised since I knew the damaged was very major but localised. However I'm not complaining! The replacement hood/bonnet has a schmick new paint job and compared to the previous one which has peeling clearcoat all over it, the new one looks brand new (I know it's not, but that's beside the point).

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site

Not really, but Sydney is certainly the most expensive city in Australia for cost-of-living, esp. with property prices. Car prices are wierd - new car prices are incredibly low because the market is totally flooded at the moment with makes/models and the average Australian's 'green' footprint is growing rather rapidly with all the new car buying.

Australia is second only behind the USA in terms of choice of make/model, and apparently in a few months we'll be the world-leader in terms of having the most makes/models of vehicle available for retail sale when the Sydney motor show rolls around in October.

Flipside is used car prices drop heaps as well. Even though my 89 16V c900 is worth from an insurance perspective $5500, the same car would only sell for half or less on Ebay if at all, and a dealer would probably want to sell it for about $4.5k. I could not believe the insurers insisted on insurance values around $5k when I first started shopping around for a full-comp policy.

Loads of c900's come up for sale (Ebay especially) here at giveaway prices when rego runs out and the costs to do necessary repairs start to stack up fast after a period of time where TLC has been let slip. The #1 cause of this is transmission repair/replacement costs!

Double-flipside is that this means there are super bargains around for people with a keen eye for good buys. My 81 turbo was an example of that - virtually no rust, engine/trans/turbo fully reconditioned in the last 2 years by previous owner, and the only significant problems were cracked exhaust manifold and inner CV's needed work. Purchase price under A$1000. I've spent double that on servicing but it was all stuff that needed doing.

The 83 turbo I bought about 2 years ago was a real lemon and I got bitten with that one and I was determined to keep looking for a really good 8V turbo car. The 81 turbo appeared and I dumped work on the 83 turbo almost straight away. Even though the cooling system part of the engine was shot (and the cylinder head badly corroded) the car is a valuable source of parts. It'll never run again and the rust is really eating at the body now.

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site

Johannes Andersen ( snipped-for-privacy@sizefitter.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Just as well, really, as otherwise nobody would be able to rent a house, since there wouldn't be any landlords looking for tenants.

Reply to
Adrian

Johannes Andersen ( snipped-for-privacy@sizefitter.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It wouldn't. The car would have been written off, although Craig would have almost certainly have been able to buy it back for a small percentage of the payout and repair it privately.

Agreed value classic insurance.

Normally requires the car NOT to be in everyday use, though.

Reply to
Adrian

They wouldn't need to rent if they could afford to buy. Renting is a vicious circle, it will never get them on the housing ladder. High house prices is also a problem for existing owners who don't want to move; their Taxes just goes up.

The decision to rent is a short term one, it's fine if your stationed somewhere on an assignment, say less than 5 years. Then buying is not worth the hassle, risk and expense.

Reply to
johannes

johannes ( snipped-for-privacy@sizef-783763nospamme-itter.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Not everybody *wants* to buy.

*ding*
Reply to
Adrian

Try seeing if there's a local broker who can find what you want for the right price or yer local Saab club perhaps?

I've probably got to do the same over here. Marvin the Paranoid '81T 4dr has just been replaced by an immaculate '90 900 4dr with 120,000Km on it. Insured for $A5100 which is more than I paid for it but I'd say there's a pretty miniscule likelihood of ever replacing it like for like for that price. Cheers

Reply to
hippo

If I don't take up full-comprehensive the cost of the compulsory third-party insurance almost doubles from A$330 a year to about $600! Here in NSW (it's different in other states) the compulsory 3rd-party insurance is not done at the same time as registration, but you can't renew registration without a valid CTP policy existing first.

Some people don't bother with full-comp insurance because that can be expensive (almost A$1k if I was under 30 and didn't have any no-claim bonus or other insurance policies with NRMA), but my full-comp premium is just under A$500 a year for the 89 c900. So with all the discounts on CTP and full-comp, it's still costing over A$1000 a year for full-comp + ctp + registration.

However, had I not full-comp insurance I would have need to pay the full cost of repairs myself, instead of just the excess. 8-) So in some rare circumstances having full insurance does actually prove to be useful!

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site

Yes there are forms of that here too - and yes they have usage restrictions such as how many km's per year the car can be driven, only private usage, and in some circumstances for specific vehicle types (like a guy in Helensburgh with a vintage WW-2 tank who has a distance and day restriction applied to his insurance).

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site

I pay NZ$76 per year each for my 1972 Saab 96 and 1976 Lotus Elite, comprehensive and 5000km per year. it is with AA Insurance, which is GIO Australia, I think.

Reply to
Richard Sutherland-Smith

It's OK to disagree with me, not OK to *ding* me. I now remember you from earlier spats.

Reply to
johannes

johannes ( snipped-for-privacy@size873733fitter.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

*ding* means that I'm agreeing with you... You've hit the nail on the head...
Reply to
Adrian