Under the hood faults?

The oily dump valve isn't a problem ... don't worry about that. The battery? Dunno? Pop the terminals off and put some grease on and see if it persists. The +ve wire that runs up the inside of the engine bay to the distribution point on the driver's side bared off on mine once. It made my radio go on and off oddly and my voltmeter went scatty. Upon inspection, there were some interesting blue burn marks on the turbo elbow where it must have been shorting. I was lucky - check over the wiring and use new P-clips to secure in place. The deposits on the turbo elbow and exhaust manifold do look suspicious - you don't have a leak, do you? Check the water cooling union on the side of the turbo - you have oil and water cooled turbo, right? My 8V does, so yours should :) If not, see above ...

Best of luck - if it's the battery issue, you need to sort that quickly. Best pull the negative off overnight, just to be on the safe side.

Reply to
PJGH

Looking again, mate - is your turbo elbow cracked?

Reply to
PJGH

Looking again, mate - is your turbo elbow cracked?

It's dark now, I'll look in the morning...hope not, but not experiencing any loss of power or extra noise....(Not that I'd hear it above the JT eh?)

Al

Reply to
Al

Oily ? Where ?

The battery just needs cleaning up as already suggested but likely means it's on its last legs. A few crystals won't give you a short btw.

As for the white on the manifold, looks normal to me.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

It had better not be it's only a couple of years old. In my experience I'd expect the average battery to last at least 5 years. It's not a bad one either, it's a Bosch!!

Al

Reply to
Al

Well ... crystals mean something's leaking.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I've cleaned up the battery and the area surrounding it, used Bicarb of soda as recommended on the UKSaabs topic. Lots of fizzing! Re-insulated battery and with a good quantity of Duct tape and a metal plate I've insulated the area between the body and battery where it rubs. Unfortunately I think the battery is a bit big, so its a tight squeeze, with movement/rubbing when the engines revved up.

I have to say I couldn't detect a leak, but that doesn't mean there isn't one of course!

Protected the terminals with vaseline, we'll see what transpires.

Al

Reply to
Al