Matt Faulk's old Saab is up for offer.

might need to be a member to see the advert though.

Reply to
Elder

Hey look, some muppet is asking about MPG ;)

Chet

Reply to
Chet

Lol.

That's a great car, I'd have it as a track toy if I had the space.

However, I don't think it's really commuter hack material.

Reply to
SteveH

"Not as good as a diesel" and "don't kid yourself" spring to mind! :)

Reply to
DervMan

Theoretically, at normal driving it shouldn't be that heavier. Matt built it using bigger injectors, a higher pressure regulator and a re-epromed ECU, with a boost mapped fuel computer compensating for the

1980s fuel system.
Reply to
Elder

Large boot (like big enough to fit a wardrobe in), five leather seats, with heating, full carpets, heater, power windows and sunroof, why not commuter hack material. Probably weighs less than a Passat, with better power to weight than a W8 passat, and I reckon with Matts mods, should handle quite nice too.

Reply to
Elder

Yes.

But you're still neglecting the main reason why you're looking to move on the Celsior.

Fuel economy and maintenance costs.

That is *not* a car that will be particularly economical or happy doing commuter work - it'll be at least as thirsty as a W8 Passat and the leather will get nice and sticky in the summer when you're sat in yet another jam on Manchester's motorways. I recall it's quite highly strung, too, so you're likely to have to replace bits quite regularly - not to mention the work that needs doing to get it properly sorted as it is.

Reply to
SteveH

It ate gearboxes if you hammered it in 3rd I believe. But driven normally it wasn't any different to a factory car as I recall.

Reply to
Elder

See Steve's comments above...

Reply to
DervMan

mpg is always crap, turbo or injection all i ever got was 26mpg but at least it was consistent... expect sub 20 mpg if you cane that! ;-)

9000 had better economy.
Reply to
mike

26 mpg? I can get more than that from the Scorpio, ffs.

Talking of which, I finally fixed the fuel computer on it today, the 'reset' button has been inop since I bought it and the average has stuck at a steady 20-22 mpg. One trip to the scrapyard, set of buttons - £2, bargain - and a reset later and the average is up to 27 mpg. Will drop as soon as I use it round town though :-(

I keep meaning to sell the Scorp, but it keeps getting better. Besides, it's useful when two of my closest mates are both 6'6" tall and they can sit one behind the other and both have plenty of space. Not many cars they can do that in. Definately not the Rangie, that's for certain.

Reply to
Pete M

Boggle - so the rangie is tiny inside too?

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

It's not tiny, but the Scorp has an extreme amount of space in the back. Really ridiculously huge in the back. With the front seats back as far as they go I can still lounge in the back with room to spare.

The Rangie is pretty big, but it's not the LWB one. LWB ones have about the same legroom in the back as the Scorp.

Reply to
Pete M

All 3 of my T16s would do low-mid 30s driven reasonably sensibly. Best I got was 36mpg on a drive up North, motorway crusing at around 70-75.

However, when wifey ended up in hospital down south, I was in Manchester. I brimmed the tank in one of them, and had to put more fuel in at Warwick services 150 miles down the road..

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Reading some early 80s reviews, the 900 Turbo is praised for its economy, being day to day the same as any other 900 _but_ it's stacks quicker. It posted quicker in-gear times than most other cars.

It had at least taller gearing and was probably more aerodynamic too.

The early 9-5 2.0t I occasionally have use of makes a good enough case for itself. Sure, it's a four cylinder in a 5-series rival, which is a minus. It isn't quick, which is another minus. Like Pete M's Scorpio, the 9-5 (and

9000) is so huge inside that it echoes. It's quiet and smooth, a great motorway cruising machine. The donk is beautifully tractable, none of this changing down at a motorway gradient or to squirt past a HGV. On paper it isn't very economical, but on the motorway, kept between the speed limit and the speed at which you'll get nicked (so 75), it returns higher 30s to the gallon. That's door to door figures for a 30 mile trip, including about 4 miles faffing about either end of the motorway or dual carriageway.
Reply to
DervMan

You were doing something wrong then, worst I ever got out of the bosch car was 28, and 30 out of the Lucas. And I didn't piss about with dawdling in those. I enjoyed baiting bigger BMs

Reply to
Elder

You need a 2.3T not a t. They are quick. And at least as economical. The 9000 is much bigger inside than the 9-5, 3years after they they were introduced, a lot owners were chopping in their 9-5s and buying latest of the late 9000 Aniversaries and Aeros, because while the 9-5 had miles better motorway consumption, the 9000 was marginally better arround town and combined, and was much bigger inside.

Reply to
Elder

The 9000 doesn't drive anywhere near as well as the 9-5 though.

If I was going to have a 9000, I'd have it with an Alfa badge and a 3.0.

Reply to
Pete M

Nope. The 2.0t would do just fine. Anything over and above would be wasted.

Reply to
DervMan