big disparity between hwy and city mileage

On my '97 850 GLT (non-turbo), I routinely get about 16 - 17 mpg for in city driving (sometimes as low as 15). On road trips I get 27 mpg.

Volvo service and my independent Volvo place cannot find anything wrong with the engine -- which has been maintained regularly.

I know that my in city driving is mostly short drives (2 - 3 miles) with lots of stops and starts. But I am not convinced that this is the only reason I get such poor mileage for city driving.

Any thoughts on things I can ask my mechanic to look for?

Thanks, Bev

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

Rob Guenther

This is exactly what I get on my 2002 Cross Country. Seemed normal to me.

Reply to
Scott

Normal here too. We get about 18-20 in the city with out '96 850 GLT wagon, which includes some longer city/highway drives to visit family in the suburbs. I normally get 25-29 for all-highway drives. Engine always checks out in tip-top shape.

Reply to
Phil Lefebvre

Thank you, Rob, Chuck, Phil and Scott. I guess my engine's okay, and the poor in-city mileage is a function of the short drives I make.

It's also good to know that for long drives, my mileage is in line with what the rest of you get.

Thanks! Bev

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf