SE light t-shooting

In my '74 SW2, the SE light occasionally comes on (about once every two weeks, for about the last three months). There don't seem to be any problems, i.e. runs smoothly, fluids fine, gas mileage fine. Seems like switching off the a.c., then accelerating hard, clears the light... sometimes. The car usually gets about 90 miles of use each day.

Maybe a sensor is dirty? At any rate I'm having trouble figuring out where to start troubleshooting. We don't have an Autozone where I could read the codes for free. Any ideas? Would the code(s) be retained even though the light goes off?

Reply to
just another

A 74 SW2 - man, that's vintage. :)

Yes, the codes are retained even after the idiot light is no longer illuminated. If the car is OBD1, you can read the codes yourself.

Some excellent instructions can be found here:

to Diagnostic Trouble Code Information, and Diagnostic Trouble CodeChart for 1st Gen Saturns. Any Haynes or Chilton manual will giveadditional info on what each codemeans.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]

Reply to
Lane

Heh! '97, I failed to type.

Thanks. Doesn't look like I can read mine w/that technique.

Reply to
just another