WARNING LIGHTS 2002 SATURN

To All,

This morning I started the car to go to work after letting it sit for a little over a week. The car started fine and all of the engine warning lights, the fuel light, the battery light, security light came on, the spedometer didn't work, gas showed emplty even though it is full, the tach. didn't work. So which electrcial part needs to be replaced or do I need to put in a new battery, since it is the original?

Thank you all for your assistance.

Jim

Reply to
JHOLMBERG4

Did it do that for a few moments, then go back to normal or did it stay like that? If it went back to normal, then I would say it's your battery as I had that happen as well and it was the computer resetting itself each time, even though there seemed more than enough juice to start the car. I put a new battery in it and it fixed the problem......5-6 years on a factory battery is pretty good. You should replace it anyway if you've got the funds and are planning to keep the car because it will go soon enough....

Good Luck

IYM

Reply to
<IYM>

Electrical system is a good place to start. Definitely have the battery tested. Strange things happen with marginal electrical power. Check the grounds and ground straps as well. Keep in mind though that the instrument panel is not connected directly to any sensors. It is simply a readout/display and is connected to the Body control module by way of a CAN bus. There are supposed to be diagnostics (not available to mere mortals like us - only the dealers that know how to use the equipment...) that will exercise the insturment panel and verify the condition of the BCM, IP and wiring.

Reply to
Oppie

I think it is the battery at the end of its life, because when I drove car at lunch, everything worked and ony the service engine light was on. by the time I drove it back to the office all the service lights were off.

thank you for your help.

Jim

Reply to
JHOLMBERG4

it sounds like the bcm got fried. very expensive to replace. mine got fried just before the warrenty ran out and it took 7 yes seven trips to the dealer who tinkered with this n that trying to fix the symptoms before replacing the bcm and frying all the bulbs in my dash. the bcm replacement did the trick the fried bulbs didn't; ( thanx "budds saturn" you incompetent morons)

Reply to
raamman